Multiple Ratings........

CRW

I'm quite sure this has been asked before, but a search turned up no results.

Say an Ex-TWA pilot, type rated in the 757/767 is now employed by American. They insist that he gets rated in the 737. Can he now pilot both the 757 and 737's? I realize this would be costly when recurrent training comes around, but I just wanted to know if it's possible.

Thanks.

My mom's first husband is a training pilot for UPS and I think he's dual rated on the DC-8's and the 757/767/

I'll take a guess and say that when you earn a rating, you keep it, but you need to be current to actually fly the aircraft.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take a guess and say that when you earn a rating, you keep it, but you need to be current to actually fly the aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTOMUNDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correcto!

I have a Flight Engineer-Turbojet rating, but I haven't had a check in a long time so I would be legal to even think about performing that duty!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correcto!

I have a Flight Engineer-Turbojet rating, but I haven't had a check in a long time so I would be legal to even think about performing that duty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would or wouldn't be legal?

Being typed in a jet is one thing, remaining current is another. Most pilots at the airlines remain current on just one fleet type (ex. B757 or MD80) but do not fly multiple fleet types at the same time.

When I checked out on the A300-600, for a very short time, I was still current (landings, checkride etc.)on the B75/76 fleet but wasn't crossed utilized. Being a line pilot, you only fly one fleet type at a time...as it should be.

Initially, UPS crossed trained many "management" checkairman to fly multiple fleet types. As an f/o on the B757, I would sometimes fly with one of these management pilots. He who would jump out of the left seat of the B727 from an inbound flight and jump into the left seat of the B757. IMHO, it was an accident waiting to happen and I think UPS eventually saw the light and abolished that practice. I know of no checkairman who flies two fleet types anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Being typed in a jet is one thing, remaining current is another. Most pilots at the airlines remain current on just one fleet type (ex. B757 or MD80) but do not fly multiple fleet types at the same time.

When I checked out on the A300-600, for a very short time, I was still current (landings, checkride etc.)on the B75/76 fleet but wasn't crossed utilized. Being a line pilot, you only fly one fleet type at a time...as it should be.

Initially, UPS crossed trained many "management" checkairman to fly multiple fleet types. As an f/o on the B757, I would sometimes fly with one of these management pilots. He who would jump out of the left seat of the B727 from an inbound flight and jump into the left seat of the B757. IMHO, it was an accident waiting to happen and I think UPS eventually saw the light and abolished that practice. I know of no checkairman who flies two fleet types anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, your right he doesn't fly the DC-8 any more he's just the 767/757 check airman. You may even know him, he's based in Louisville.

Back