Multi Time question

CakeOnIt

I am new here, but am heading for my dream in the very near future. I am looking heavily at several schools in the Florida area, namely Ari-Ben, Florida Aviation Academy, Comair, & Phoenix East. This is what I have found so far: Florida Aviation Academy (FAA) is a 141 school in south Florida, and tells me to forget about going to schools like Ari-Ben and ATP because they pack several students into a multi engine plane and let multiple people log multi time as PIC. FAA seems to have excellent customer service, at least on the phone. Ari-Ben seems like a great deal, considering that I really don't care too much about the age of the fleet, but I am concearned about the real quality of the multi time there. Comair seems too pricey but a good school. Phoenix east seems eager to pitch what the offer but again I think I would prefer somewhere with more multi time. ATP is out for me because of the lack of MGIB bennies. Any input would be appreciated. By the way, I am heading to one SOME school before the next thirty days, as I am taking a leave of absence from my current job for 90 days and must use my VA money before August 6th.

mcdavi02,

[ QUOTE ]
Florida Aviation Academy (FAA) is a 141 school in south Florida, and tells me to forget about going to schools like Ari-Ben and ATP because they pack several students into a multi engine plane and let multiple people log multi time as PIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a quote from an earlier post of mine concerning the multi time at Ari Ben.....

[ QUOTE ]
As far as two pilots logging PIC during the "time building phase", please review FAR's 61.51 (e)(1)(iii), then review 91.109 (b)(1)&(2). Additionally, John King endorses the method. If you have the joint King/Cessna "Cleared For Approach" book, please look at section 14-7 under "Safety Pilot". The Aviator operates under these regulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, keep in mind that as a pro student, you will qualify as an instructor once you finish the program. That means that most of your dual given will be in the Beech Duchess (twin). For example, when you have accumulated 1200 hours TT, you can expect 800-900 to be multi time.

Therefore, even if you still question the time logged during the time building phase (the PIC time which you reference in your post above), those 100 hours will be dwarfed by your dual given.

VA....Ari Ben has a great program specifically for VA. If you have not heard the details or costs, call and ask for Julian or Mike Cohen.

I suggest (if you have not already), to go back several weeks in these forums and review the correspndence/comments of others. Many people like yourself are asking similar questions about various school. This will broaden you perspective a bit.

Go ahead and visit various schools. Ari Ben enourages you to do that. Suggesting that you "forget" about other schools is a diservice to you and should raise a flag.
blush.gif

Good luck in your search!

Luftpost

I'll check out those FARs, thanks. Not sure if this is the right place to post the question, but I'm curious about the experiences others have had at some of the other schools not given their own topic heading on this board, like the smaller school at Pompano Beach airpark, Florida Aviation Academy. This looks like my number 2 behind Ari-Ben. Any personal accounts would be very helpfull.

[ QUOTE ]
tells me to forget about going to schools like Ari-Ben and ATP because they pack several students into a multi engine plane and let multiple people log multi time as PIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was shopping for flight schools, this was a common tactic small schools would use to make up for their lack of a multi fleet or multi time in the syllabus. In most cases, two people are logging it-the student pilot (once multi rated) and the MEI. Or, as ATP does it, one pilot under the hood and one in the other seat as safety pilot, also logging PIC under the FAR discussed previously. I'll be using a separate column for "multi safety pilot PIC" in my logbook for my safety pilot time at ATP, which should not exceed 40 hours or so. No idea how Aviator does it. But it is legit, and King Schools even endorses it.

Its my understanding they do it the same way at Ari Ben PSCraig. once you start instructing, you end up with like 800 multi out of 1000 hours. I don't think anyone will care about the 40 safety pilot when you have 760 dual given multi.

Now what if you were to NOT stay around and instruct? The reason I ask is because I am taking a leave of absence from my current job in a decent paying non aviation industry, and only have 90 days leave from work to train. I seek to pick up my CFII/MEI if possible during that time, then return to work, instructing at a local FBO if they have any students for me. So I'm not sure if it would be wiser to attend a school focused more on singles. I would like to do as much time in multis as possible, but am unsure of the best path at this point.

The way I understand the VA program is that you do not do the time building portion with anyone else. The VA states SOLO. Call Mike or Julien to get the details.
Glenko
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm not sure if it would be wiser to attend a school focused more on singles. I would like to do as much time in multis as possible, but am unsure of the best path at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you fly for a corporation or major, are you going to be flying a single?? Perhaps a Pilatus?? In reality, its going to be multi engine. When would it ever be wiser to focus on singles? In todays market, you need to stand out from the crowd. An abundance of multi time will help.

From your post I understand you already have your initial CFI. 90 days is MORE than enough time to add you MEI and CFII, or even your initial if you do not have it yet.

The VA program does require the candidate to fly SOLO (without instructor or passengers).

I don't think I would worry about the safety pilot issue. I think it is done often enough for initial ratings that it is pretty well accepted. I think it becomes an issue if you are buying muli time in 100 hour bllocks and half of it is safety time. I think you would be fine doing the Ari program. If you do, please let us know how it goes. There are some of us on here that are very strongly considering Ari that would like to see a personal account

Back