Multi pvt W/ Instrument passed

Aviator1988

I passed my multi add-on with instrument yesterday. It was by far the most enjoyable course and easiest checkride i've had yet. I have about 126 hours of total time with a PP ASEL and instrument rating, and now the AMEL add-on. I started my flight training in Grand Haven, Michigan but decided to finish up in Daytona Beach, Florida.

The oral was just like any other. I showed up an hour early with my papers, I.D's, Medical, and of course, payment in hand. I sat down with the examiner and we went through all of those papers, he checked my logbook, and after a few minutes we moved on to the test. He had me start off by doing a weight and balance and figure the performance data for the Piper PA-34-200 Seneca i used for the test. The weight and balance was to be done with the following conditions: Temp 32C, altimeter: 29.72, My weight (165), 4 passengers each weighing 180, and a total of 100 pounds of baggage. First i computed the pressure altitude ( Current altimeter setting - Standard setting X 1000), and then the density altitude (Current temp - Standard temp X 120 + PA). Then after a few minutes with loading and performance graphs, i figured we were able to only carry 54 gallons of fuel, any more would put us over gross weight. I explained that the CG would be within limits during all phases of the flight, and showed him the performance data (takeoff/landing distance for both normal and short field takeoffs, accelerate/stop distance, single engine service, and absolute cieling, single engine climb performance). After this came systems. We started with the fuel system, which i was a little weak on. "How many tanks do we have, where does the fuel go when it leaves the tank, can you draw me the basic layout?" i did ok with drawing the basic structure of the fuel system, but i had to reference the POH. Then he asked me what manifold pressure was, and how it worked. After that we moved on to the propeller/governor system which was pretty straight forward. The propeller control lever is connected to a speeder spring connected to the pilot valve. Push the lever to the "forward" position, the pilot valve is pushed down, allowing oil to flow from the engine to the propeller hub, decreasing the blade angle. Pull the prop lever back, the pilot valve comes up, allowing oil to flow out of the hub to the sump, increasing blade angle. I also had to explain what the fly weights did. On to Vmc next. Vmc had been beaten to death during training thankfully so this was a breeze. i used an acronym to remember this.

Flaps to T/O position
Landing gear up
Aft CG
Prop windmilling
Standard day
Bank 5 degrees into operative engine
Out of ground effect
Trim to T/O position
Max power
Most unfavorable weight (light weight)
150 lbs rudder pressure
20 degrees of heading
1.2 x Vs1

he asked the effect each of those hand on Vmc and how they effected performance. just a few questions were asked about a critical engine, and then i heard "ok, lets go fly".

The flight was painless. Pre-flight, followed by a VFR departure to the practice area for maneuvers. Then 2 Instrument approaches. I called and got the atis, called for clearance, and then to ground for taxi instructions. Did the run up, called tower and got takeoff clearance. After advancing the throttles full forward the examiner "cut" one engine by pulling the left throttle to idle. I quickly pulled the right throttle closed, and after i was lined up he told me to continue with the takeoff. We climbed to 3500 and did a power off stall, power on stall, steep turns, Vmc demo, and a short field takeof and landing and the Flagler airport, which is an uncontrolled airport just outside of Daytona's class C airspace. After departing flager, i got atis and called up daytona approach, telling them we wanted the VOR 16 approach followed by the ILS 7L. Received my clearance and instructions. Examiner took the controls as i put on my hood. I intercepted the final approach course, crossed the VOR, GUMPS check, and kept that needle dead on. Tower told me to go missed 3 miles out, so i did. Climbed up to 2000 feet and right to 160 for vectors to the final approach fix for the ILS 7L. The ILS would be to a full stop. we were vectored around for a few minutes, and then i heard "turn left to 100, maintane 1600 until established on the localizer, cleared ILS 7L", and as soon as i keyed the mic to read it back, my left engine conveniently stopped running. Mixture, prop, throttle, flaps up, gear up, fuel selectors on, fuel pumps on, identify/verify, and feather. I did the checklist flawlessly, but forgot to read back my clearance... oops. I was reminded just a few seconds later when they called me again "727PE, did you copy that?". i keyed the mic while getting the localizer and glideslope where it was suppose to be. Followed the glideslope down and kept the localizer within 1 dot, which i was very happy with. At about 200 ft. above DH, the examiner told me to go visual. I landed with a 15 knot crosswind, a little right of centerline. We taxied off to do the after landing checklist and i was told i passed.

"Maneuvers were good, engine out work was good. You forgot to read back your clearance for the ILS though, but you remembered Aviate, Navigate, Communicate... fly the airplane!" we taxied back to the ramp, and i was issued my temporary.

Another checkride down, I'll be starting multi-commercial in a few days and am very excited!

Congrats! Good write up, I'm getting ready to take my commercial single engine ride. Good luck with the commercial.

Back