Multi-Engine Time?

I had 167 ME when I got hired. Most of that was from instructing. Most of the rest was from being instructed. The remainder was a trip that I paid for myself and several odd hours of safety pilot time.

You can do your initial private multi in a twin without the insurance headache. The FAA allows you to do your 10 hours of solo time in a single if necessary. That would mean you would have to learn how to fly two airplanes for the same license, but you would only be rated in one of them. I would get the private single and then get the add on.

I went to ATP jacksonville in early May and was pleased with the results. I came as a 800hr single engine CFI/II and left as a com multi with almost 50 hrs multi time and it only set me back $4K. I returned to the flight school where I work and quickly knocked out my MEI having enough time to meet our insurance company's minimums for renting/teaching (500TT, 50 mulit, 10 make/model).

The training is accelerated and takes a lot of self-study motivation. I took my mulit comm add on with just 8 hrs in the mulit. The rest of the time was aquired doing what they call an ASAP program. I basically ferried their planes around the SE. I was back home teaching in Denver after just 8 days! They'll fly you hard (up to 9 or 10 hrs a day) but they do a good job living up to their promises.

Back