multi comm help

highflying

Right now i am working on my Multi comm and have been studying a lot. I was just wonder if some of the people who have recently taken this checkride could tell me what are some of the main thing the exanimer will ask in a oral. I still have a few weeks before I schedule the check ride but I just wanted to make sure I was studing the right stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wonder if some of the people who have recently taken this checkride could tell me what are some of the main thing the exanimer will ask in a oral.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been about a year since I took mine...but from what I remember:

Lots of Vmc stuff. Know it cold. Same with systems. Know your FAR's, and know, in depth, commercial privelages and limitations (including FAR 119.1). Also, MEL's (91.113). I got lots of scenario type questions, mainly on the topics above, from what I recall.

I might be missing something, but I think thats the jist of it. The rest of the questions were kinda mickey mouse questions from previous ratings (sectional charts, weather, stuff like that).

Good luck!
cool.gif

I second the Vmc stuff. Also know the private carriage vs. common carriage stuff. If you need a copy of the AC click here. Know the systems of your particular aircraft.

During the flight try and act as professional as possible. That is what a commercial pilot is all about. Good Luck with your ride.

Another good AC is 91-67 which deals with minimum equipment lists. (FAR 91.213)

91-67

Other than what's already been mentioned, make sure that you know:

Airspace & Airspace rules/speeds
Medical Factors (high alt. ops, hypoxia, etc.)
Required inspections
Oxygen requirements
Required instrument/nav. equip (FAR 91.205 & 207)
Weight shift formulas
Emergency proceedures for the aircraft that you're flying
What aircraft require an MEL

I'll try to remember more from my oral if I can....

Dave

Oh yeah, like eatsleepfly said, Vmc is a major topic. Know all the factors affecting Vmc and more importantly, why they have the effect that they do. I got stuck on the one about bank angle and couldn't remember the explanation.

thanks guy for the help. I read this website all the time but dont post very much. It is great that everyone share all the info they can to help everyone out. I know I have had lots of questions answered just by reading this website.

I just passed my Comm-MEL checkride yesterday and hot topics in the oral were:

1) VMC
2) Single engine dynamics
3) Aircraft systems. Electrical, Hyrdaulic etc
4) 91.213 Minimum Equipment list
5) X-country planning
6) Aeromedical stuff like Hypoxia and when to use oxygen
7) Standard questions about airworthiness of the aircraft

[ QUOTE ]
I just passed my Comm-MEL checkride yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mike D!!!! It's funny I have never celebrated or had much fanfare after any of these ratings. It's always train harder and knock out the next rating. Comm-SEAD and initial CFI are next, and I have been going the FBO route.

[ QUOTE ]
It's always train harder and knock out the next rating. Comm-SEAD and initial CFI are next, and I have been going the FBO route.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm talkin' about bro!!! REPRESENT!!

(FBO router here too - just finished the ASEL/IA and now working on the AMEL/IA rating followed FORTHWITH by the ASEL/Comm and AMEL/Comm. ratings!!
grin.gif
)

You will be better off to just read the PTS, it list everything you need to know. Find out who had the same examiner you will have and ask them for some info.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mike D!!!! It's funny I have never celebrated or had much fanfare after any of these ratings. It's always train harder and knock out the next rating. Comm-SEAD and initial CFI are next, and I have been going the FBO route.

[/ QUOTE ]

screw that! When I passed my CIME I went out and bought a big bottle of rum and had a cookout! I think that it's important to celebrate once in a while. Otherwise it's, "All work and no play make Homer something something. Go crazy? Don't mind if I do!"

Congrats and good luck on the next rating.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
...If you need a copy of the AC click here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this should be a new topic, but here goes...
Flybub suggested looking at link to an AC which explains holding out (good idea).
I thought I had a reasonable understand of AC's, but I was surprised when I read this one. First, it was dated 1986 (7 years old). Second, it referenced section 91.181(c)1, which DOES NOT exist in my 2003 FAR/AIM. The section refers to "Course to be flown", which has nothing to do with holding out or commercial flight. The AC is cleary a current AC.

I'm guessing that the FAR's changed since the AC was written (which would somewhat invalidate the AC). Apparently the FAA doesn't have any software which checks cross-references between documents (Hey, maybe I could supplement my CFI income by writing cross-check software for them :).

Am I missing something? Is this a valid AC? Are the references broken?

Back