Multi-Comm Checkride question?

skypilot

Anyone out there recently take the multi-Comm checkride? I have a question regarding the standards for slow flight. When I took my multi-private checkride last year I had to maintain around 80 knots for slow flight. I looked at a old comair flight standard book and the speed is recommended to be about 69 knots in a Pa44-18 (seminole).

While preparing with my CFI over the weekend he stated that the standards have changed and now one must fly the fine line of slow flight and red line. (Vmc) I always though it was dangerous flying this close to redline. Goes against everything they pushed on me in multiengine training. Any stories to relate?

You're expected to cruise around in level flight with the stall warning horn blaring. In the words of the Commercial Multi PTS for slow flight:

3.) Establishes and maintains an airspeed at which any further increase in AOA, increase in load factor, or reduction in power would result in an immediate stall.

I believe Vmc (redline) in the Seminole is 56 kts. And, if I remember right, Vso is like 57, and Vs is like 55. Or something like that, I know they're all really close together. Anyways, point is, they want you literally hanging on the edge of a stall with the horn blaring.

skypilot
Let me help you here, When you are doing slow flight at or near the redline or even below the red line and lets say one quits, is the airplane going to do a Vmc roll? No! You will start to loose directional controll and will have to deal with it, but is won't snap into the Vmc dieing cockroach. Why? What is the red line or Vmc speed predicated on? Many conditions but the most crucial one here is The Operating Engine at full or Take Off power. During slow flight your only at about 35% of this condition. If you are ever doing slow flight and one quits DON'T ADD Power but reduce the good engine and effect a recovery by lowering the nose accelerate the airspeed and slowly feed in power as you clean up the airplane. The Red line on your airspeed indicator is base on many conditions and for your MEI ride I would highly recommend that you are conversant with each point. I can build a good part of an oral around these points alone. Also understand the difference between static Vmc and Dynamic Vmc, I've been involved on another thread under technical about this idea and single engine go arounds. This is the issue that sets apart the CFI and the MEI.

shypilot
After rereading your initial thread I see you are only going for your commercial Mulit but these truths still apply, and I assume you will be going for your MEI someday soon. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys!!! C650CPT you are correct about Vmc and redline bechmarking. I have to take into account the airplane engines have wear and tear and aren't performing at full specs. Also, the other specs which Piper tested the aircraft and came up with the 56 knot Vmc speed are not going to be the same.

I was just sort of surprised because it was always a big deal in training to avoid redline. Will keep you informed..

Thanks again!!!

Back