MRA nc run questions

CLTflyer

I'm just over 135mins (besides night , 16hrs to go) and I see that martainaire has a caravan run between mqi and rdu. Anyone on here ever flown this route? I'm thinking of applying but would want to live raleigh since my wife is a regional FA and would need to use RDU to commute. I know it's days in mqi and nights in RDU, but seeing that the trip starts in mqi I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to make something like this work?

Thanks

I'm just over 135mins (besides night , 16hrs to go) and I see that martainaire has a caravan run between mqi and rdu. Anyone on here ever flown this route? I'm thinking of applying but would want to live raleigh since my wife is a regional FA and would need to use RDU to commute. I know it's days in mqi and nights in RDU, but seeing that the trip starts in mqi I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to make something like this work?

Thanks
Drive down monday afternoon, overnight at the hub, drive back Saturday morning.

Have your wife pick you up when she's home, use the company paid hotel when she's not.

I've covered the run. The usual Monday night to Saturday morning (MQI -RDU) On Friday night and Saturday morning you make one stop in Edenton, NC. You can probably do some extra flying in MQI (banner towing or CFI). I use to cover Guymon, OK and lived in OKC and drove 4.5 hr one way every weekend to get home. I think RDU is around 3 hrs drive, depending out fast you drive. You'll get done around 930 Saturday morning and need to report back around 7pm Monday night. So I think its manageable to live in RDU and make the drive every weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your info! I have a friend who is in the 1900 in Fargo so he didn't know anything about the stuff in nc.

Another option is to buy a beater car and leave it at MQI for you to get around during the day.

A day job is almost necessary to fight off boredom, as well as bring in a few extra bucks. Management is usually fine with outside flying, but do NOT call them in December and tell them you're out of hours.

it's a good route...used to spend the days on the outer banks and beach and then fly back at nights. FWIR...the UPS truck gets there the earlierest among all the outstations in NC so you were first in at base at night. IT was my favorite route (besided Columbia-Savanah) and I covered almost all the routes (minus the Michigan routes)

I flew that I think when I was a stand-by pilot. I liked it. I do recommend USMCmech's idea, and this is what I did when I had a regular run at Martinaire (DRT-SAT), I had a cheapie car in DRT and my normal car in SAT. Assuming MRA still operates the same, they would be willing to give you a hotel on either end (RDU or MQI) as well, so you could live in RDU and get a hotel in MQI.

Anyone know about the EUG run? I looked on Flightaware, and they only show one run - MRA 685. Hard to get an accurate picture of what the ops are like out of there.

Eugene to Portland, pretty nice run. If I recall the hotel in Portland used to have a lounge with free sodas and cookies.

That would mean MRA was actually sticking with a single hotel...I stayed at two different places when I was covering that run. Neither of which had a lounge I knew of.

The EUG Hilton is very nice though.

Eugene to Portland, pretty nice run. If I recall the hotel in Portland used to have a lounge with free sodas and cookies.

That would mean MRA was actually sticking with a single hotel...I stayed at two different places when I was covering that run. Neither of which had a lounge I knew of.

The EUG Hilton is very nice though.

So which is it? Is the plane based in EUG or PDX? What is the schedule like for the run? Just standby unless you are needed?

Plane is based in PDX. You are stby in the morning. Sometimes they use you, either way you have to be in EUG by 3pm for night opts.

So which is it? Is the plane based in EUG or PDX? What is the schedule like for the run? Just standby unless you are needed?
Plane is based where you live. The last few years everyone has lived in PDX. Route is same either way, PM you run EUG-PDX, AM you're standby. You can repo down at ANY time during the day if you aren't used (so you live in PDX, you repo down mid afternoon, you live in EUG then you repo down immediately).

The plane repos empty either Monday PDX-EUG for PM ops (if you live in PDX), or Friday night PDX-EUG after PM ops (if you live in EUG).

Occasionally the plane will have to go to EUG for the weekend for maintenance...if so MRA will rent you a car to drive to/from PDX if you live there.

Plane is based where you live. The last few years everyone has lived in PDX. Route is same either way, PM you run EUG-PDX, AM you're standby. You can repo down at ANY time during the day if you aren't used (so you live in PDX, you repo down mid afternoon, you live in EUG then you repo down immediately).

The plane repos empty either Monday PDX-EUG for PM ops (if you live in PDX), or Friday night PDX-EUG after PM ops (if you live in EUG).

Occasionally the plane will have to go to EUG for the weekend for maintenance...if so MRA will rent you a car to drive to/from PDX if you live there.

Okie dokie.... thanks! That makes sense!

That sounds legit

Back