Mozambican E190 Down in Namibia

For almost an entire day, the airline just had the plane reported as "missing" and even told reporters the plane had landed safely somewhere in Namibia, but they didn't know where. Imagine the turmoil of the families once the plane was confirmed crashed after the first reports. With a modern plane like the 190, and a decent sized carrier like LAM, taking an entire day to figure out if the plane has crashed or not seems a little crazy. I know parts of Africa may as well be the middle of an Ocean, but to think it landed safely for almost a full day and report that to the media despite obviously not speaking to the crew?

For almost an entire day, the airline just had the plane reported as "missing" and even told reporters the plane had landed safely somewhere in Namibia, but they didn't know where. Imagine the turmoil of the families once the plane was confirmed crashed after the first reports. With a modern plane like the 190, and a decent sized carrier like LAM, taking an entire day to figure out if the plane has crashed or not seems a little crazy. I know parts of Africa may as well be the middle of an Ocean, but to think it landed safely for almost a full day and report that to the media despite obviously not speaking to the crew?

They have 3 airplanes and are ban from flying in EU airspace.

Almost any airline in The former USSR, and almost any part of Africa, are dangerous. And there have been airline crashes in both this week.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Almost any airline in The former USSR, and almost any part of Africa, are dangerous. And there have been airline crashes in both this week.

It seems there is one, sometimes two in both countries every 6 months.

That's very true. I've flown on Ethiopian, though...good safety record.

Doesn't surprise me that the airline didn't know the whereabouts of the aircraft, though. There are entire countries in Africa (and elsewhere) where it's common to never get in contact with ATC.

They have 3 airplanes and are ban from flying in EU airspace.
This is true, but the ban is(or was) supposedly because of the country they operate in, the few times I've read about them they are regarded as one of the better carriers from a 3rd world African nation. Or at least, they were. Didn't know they were down to 3 planes, they had a sizable fleet last I saw a few years ago including 767-300ERs.

Maybe he was thinking of LAN instead of LAM? :)
Lol, nope. When I nerded out and put their fleet into my flight sim traffic a few years back, they had quite a fleet. Check out wiki and see what they used to fly, pretty much the most random fleet I've ever seen...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAM_Airlines

Last edited:
This is true, but the ban is(or was) supposedly because of the country they operate in, the few times I've read about them they are regarded as one of the better carriers from a 3rd world African nation. Or at least, they were. Didn't know they were down to 3 planes, they had a sizable fleet last I saw a few years ago including 767-300ERs.

Haha sorry my bad dude, shouldn't have underestimated you. ;)

It looks like LAM did a "World Air Routes" flight deck DVD a while back, and the fleet was pretty diverse then. In the video alone they have the B767-200, B737-200, EMB-120 and Jetstream 41!

http://www.worldairroutes.com/LAM.html

And that's your a.net moment of the day!

Haha sorry my bad dude, shouldn't have underestimated you. ;)

It looks like LAM did a "World Air Routes" flight deck DVD a while back, and the fleet was pretty diverse then. In the video alone they have the B767-200, B737-200, EMB-120 and Jetstream 41!

http://www.worldairroutes.com/LAM.html

And that's your a.net moment of the day!
That's faptastic. And you're better off undersestimating me, I really don't know as much as most of the nerds.

But I did think they had an okay safety record, and according to a few sites this is their first fatal crash since 1970, and that other fatal crash was a crew training flight with no pax. Impressive considering how many times their pilots must have switched types over the years.

That's faptastic. And you're better off undersestimating me, I really don't know as much as most of the nerds.

But I did think they had an okay safety record, and according to a few sites this is their first fatal crash since 1970, and that other fatal crash was a crew training flight with no pax. Impressive considering how many times their pilots must have switched types over the years.

Nevermind the fact they are pilots for an airline in a third world African country. ;)

Back