Moving to Jepp from NACO

pscraig

I have decided to move to Jepp charts, but am unsure exactly what I am getting. I fly mostly in VA, and considered the Airway Manual Express Annual service, getting a new AME pack every 2 months. Does the AME replace approach plates, enroute charts, and the A/FD? I'm hoping I can just carry the Jepp binder with me instead of everything else, and use it as a single source of information.

Well, you won't get an AFD, but you will recieve a new set of plates, departures, arrivals, area charts (if applicable in your area - more airports have area charts in the Jepp subscription than in the NACO set), applicable NOTAMS and any other info pertinent to your area of flight.

on the jepp note...am i the only one they are telling that you cant buy them every 56 days now or what...do you absolutely have to buy a subscription?

Deltaconnection, I've been told the same thing...no more 56 days packages from Jepp. You have to get an annual subscription or (like I did) start using Naco...

The subscription is awfully nice though, you don't have to worry about charts expiring or an updated plate.

I'm lost!
This is what i found at THIS page:

Airway Manual Express
Jeppesen's Airway Manual Express service is only available by phone until Spring 2004. To learn more about Airway Manual Express services, please contact Jeppesen Customer Service at
US Toll Free: 1-800-621-5377
Direct: 303-799-9090
Germany: +49 6102 5070

Jeppesen's Airway Manual Express is designed for the pilot who wants a completely new set of Jeppesen Enroute and Terminal Charts every 56 days. With this service, there is no need to file revision. After the 56-day cycle, you simply discard the old charts and begin using a new set. These chart packets are available as a 1-time, 56-day set from Jeppesen, your favorite pilot supply shop, flight school or FBO. You may also subscribe to our annual subscription service for six issuances. This service is very popular with IFR students, CFI's and pilots who fly in small geographic areas or occasionally fly outside their primary area of operation. Airway Manual Express is conveniently segmented into easy-to-use geographic regions. You purchase only the coverage(s) you need. (A 28-day update is included when purchasing an annual subscription.)

[ QUOTE ]
i switched to NACO but i hate em...how much does a subscription to jepp cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you hate an approach plate?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I suppose if you're really passionate...
grin.gif

Once you go Jeppesen you'll never go back. The subscriptions aren't cheap, but (outside government and military) almost every place you'd work as a professional aviator uses Jepps.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
but (outside government and military) almost every place you'd work as a professional aviator uses Jepps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except AirNet. They use NACO.
laugh.gif

hey MTSU
what does your friend at school who flies the c9 and bon. prefer? I am sure he has a preference as much as he flies....

[ QUOTE ]
almost every place you'd work as a professional aviator uses Jepps.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a factor in my decision. It's my understanding that the 56 day packs will still be available from pilot shops, just not directly from Jeppesen. I'd get a subscription anyway, but want to ensure that I can totally switch to Jepp, and forego the AF/D.

You'd still need the A/FD but that's it. And $4 every two months in addition to your Jepps is not that much to spend.

Then again, I haven't used an A/FD in years, so who am I to say ...

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Once you go Jeppesen you'll never go back. The subscriptions aren't cheap, but (outside government and military) almost every place you'd work as a professional aviator uses Jepps.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used Jepps, and I still prefer NOS. Jepps are OK, but with the standard format coming out, plus the colored terrain, they're really both the same.

[ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that the 56 day packs will still be available from pilot shops, just not directly from Jeppesen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had the opposite experience - I can only get the packs through the mail! Once you add the $8 for shipping, buying the packs separately gets a llittle pricey (but still worth it in my opinion).

Most pilot shops will not stock the express packs anymore. Jepp will no longer give refunds to stores for unsold express packs, so it the store buys too many, they get stuck with the bill. They have also raised their prices an obscene amount recently. If I was you I would get the subsription for your area. It is more of a pain to file revisions, but they are sent to your house and are alot cheaper.

I just subscribed to the AME for California. Pretty happy so far with the package. True, your not getting a Jepp AFD, but it seems like a lot of the info is presented in the package..... ie: airport info, TEC's, preferred routes, NOTAMS, etc..

I would like to know examples of what is in the AFD that is not in the Jepp AME package... I have not looked at this closely (yet).

[ QUOTE ]
hey MTSU
what does your friend at school who flies the c9 and bon. prefer? I am sure he has a preference as much as he flies....

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
Oh, he's very vocal about the price of the Jepp stuff, although he doesn't know the altitude that the jet charts begin at....
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

easy when you get trained on jepp and then have to switch to NOS. i guess its just personal preference but its creature habit...its like drinkin bud for years then switchin to mich ultra.... somethin just aint right

Back