Moving to Alaska..Gonna eat alot of Salmon...

lilrkt

So yeah, my wife and I are looking to move to Alaska next year (Summer 2004). We are going to take a trip up theree this year to check things out and see where we will look to live. Right now it's looking like Anchorage, but things could change. Is there anyone that could give us some ideas or suggestions? (Buzo..?) I am looking to have my CFI completed before I go, and work doing whatever I can get my hands on. We would like to live outside the city if possible. We are not big on a lot of people and want room for our dogs to run? Thanks in advance!

[ QUOTE ]
there anyone that could give us some ideas or suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take lots of warm clothes!

[ QUOTE ]
I own it actually. I love that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original version is pretty cool too. I saw it on IFC. I'm pretty sure that it was swedish, but I can't remember...

Dave

when we cruised up there last week, we really liked haines... it's a really small town (quiet and quaint) where if i remember correctly, you can only get in/out by boat or plane...we just sat at a coffee shop there relaxing for hours!

they don't yet have a flightseeing company up in that area, so if you were looking for some experience - that might be a spot to take people around near the hubbard glacier or some of the other glaciers - who knows...

we also liked ketchikan a lot.. the flightseeing tour into the misty fjords was awesome and i think they're always looking for new pilots during the summer season...

oh - btw.. if you wanted to see some of our photos from our trip... go to www.dougandkristie.com

we have flightseeing photos & glacier photos as well as other "in flight" photos from the trip....and a couple of mini movies that our digital camera can do...

I can't wait to go back up there again!!

might I suggest you look at living in the Mat-Su Valley (Palmer or Wasilla). that way you are only 50 miles out of Anchorage. you'd get all the benefits of having a decent sized city nearby without having to live in the city. and not to mention the weather is a lot more mild in southcentral AK than it is up in the interior. my $.02...

Thanks, Kristie. Love the pics! I can't wait to visit myself this summer! I am going to try to look into all the areas I can to make as good of a decision as possible. Hopefully we will be able to visit the southeast area while we are there. We will definately be looking into Palmer and Wasilla along with Kenai and Homer.

Congrats on the decision. I love it up here. I don't know what info I can give you though. Send me a message with some questions and I can try to answer them for you.

Great pics Kristie. Which reminded me, did you find it funny/disturbing that in the middle of nowhere in areas like Skagway, Ketchikan, etc. you turn the corner and there is a Starbucks staring you in the face. Can't evade corporate America anywhere.

You know, after leaving YVR, I didn't see any starbucks!

But the most interesting thing was in Haines. Haines is a very small town in the middle of nowhere, but suprisingly enough, in the small grocery store there was a handwritten post stating "Get the new 50 Cent DVD, on sale for $19.99"

I just can't imagine a F-250 driving the narrow streets of Haines cranking "Go shorty, it's ya birfday"

Alaska is a sweet place to visit especially if you love to be outdoors. Anchorage is pretty bad. The nickname for it is Los Anchorage after LA because of the gangs and drugs. I have never been there but my father lived there for years (he's a photographer). He owned land north of Anchorage and had a sweet view of Mt McKinely. He had to eventually leave because he couldn't take the winter months. I guess the days were to short for him to work. The summers would be great and if you go really north up the Dalton to Deadhorse, then you have mostly 24hrs of sun. It really messes up your internal clock. My dad is proof to that. Hmmm there maybe a little truth to Insomnia after all.

I am moving to Anchorage in a week. Gonna do my CFI, II and hopefully work for the company I'm training at. I've been up there a few times before, and love it up there. I'm sure Anc has it's bad parts of town, but for the most part it is a beautiful city. I'd prefer to live outside the city myself, but will probably hang in town initially. Good luck!

Los Anchorage? I haven't seen any of the problems you have listed up here. Of course you are going to have some bad areas, but Anchorage itself is a very clean city. As this is my first summer here, the sunlight is a bit weird. We are down to less than an hour between the begining and end of civil twilight now. Sunset and Sunrise are separated by about 4 hours.

Back