Movies for Dispatchers

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
What movies would you have a prospective dispatcher watch? I'm thinking Airplane and Office Space. Possibly Pushing Tin as well, even though that is about ATC. Anyone have any other suggestions?

giphy.gif

Even though it's dark, it's a true perspective of the responsibility of our jobs

What movies would you have a prospective dispatcher watch? I'm thinking Airplane and Office Space. Possibly Pushing Tin as well, even though that is about ATC. Anyone have any other suggestions?

giphy.gif
Honestly, that about covers it. You can always throw in the Top Gun movies though because... airplanes.

Even though it's dark, it's a true perspective of the responsibility of our jobs

Excellent suggestion, I have seen that one and totally forgot to add it here. Thanks.

Sully, The Aviator, The Right Stuff

Just good aviation movies and true stories

But yeah like said above Pushing Tin and The Voices of are probably the closest to actual DX

Sully was a good one for sure. The Aviator had good acting and some good moments but seemed like more of a character study about Howard Hughes (who was a very interesting individual, it just seemed to be a bit less pure aviation related than the other movies.) The Right Stuff was decent also but kind of long. They are still good choices to add to the list though, so thanks for sharing.

Both Top Gun movies. It's not just about connecting with your fellow dispatchers, but also connecting with the pilots, and they've all watched those too.

Stealth for sure. Seeing how AI and quantum processing work, I know that I along with pilots will be out of a job in the near future. :p

Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Gotta get some good Outer Marker coverage instead of, you know, anything else.

Both Top Gun movies. It's not just about connecting with your fellow dispatchers, but also connecting with the pilots, and they've all watched those too.

Honestly, I thought the plot of the first Top Gun movie was pretty lame, although I liked the special effects. Maverick was awesome though. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll compile a "top ten" list and share it here at some point (rankings will be totally subjective on my part.)

OK...here is my unofficially official list of movies for prospective dispatchers to watch. They aren't ranked in terms of quality, but rather to space out serious movies with less serious films. And there are many others I could have included, I know, but I stuck mainly to civil aviation (although Apollo 13 did make the list as well, for its portrayal of a mission control type environment dealing with a major issue on board a flight, or mission in this case.)

1. 9/11: Voices of the Aircraft Dispatchers
2. Airplane
3. Sully
4. Office Space
5. United 93
6. Pushing Tin
7. Apollo 13

I think The Big Lebowski is appropriate. Try to be more like the Dude. There are some Achievers around my shop that can keep up with my quotes. The most applicable being:

"You're being verrrry un-dude."
"Nothing is f@#>ed!"
"You're entering a World of Pain"
"Finishin' my coffee"
“Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.”
"You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous."
"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
(if you work with someone named Donny, it's a gold mine)
"Phone's ringin', Dude"
"I could just be sitting at home with pee stains on my rug."
"Am I the only one who gives a s*!# about the rules?"
"I'm sorry, I wasn't listening."
"This aggression will not stand, man!"
"Have you ever heard of Vietnam?"
"He's a good man. And thorough."
"Strong men also cry."
"Uh, I'm just gonna find a cash machine"
"And a good day to you, sir!"

Trouble is, I notice I'm "random" drug-tested more than everybody.

Don't forget The Battle of Britain (1969) with Laurence Olivier, probably will never be another movie with more flyable Spitfires...

I just assume that the dispatch office scenes from airplane are pretty accurate, I mean the flight deck scenes are more accurate than pretty much any movie that tries to be serious.

And don’t call me Shirley.

Back