Most Embarrassing Aviation Moment

On the way to PDK in the Citation I checked in with center as
"Good mornin' Atlanta, Katana xxxxx, with you level at FL290". I had flown the Katana the previous day and just wasn't thinking, I got some kind of smart remark like,"Wow, you put rocket engines on that thing?". Luckily no one has been around to see my landings, so that's not my most embarrissing moment.
crazy.gif

Just got my Private...took my brother up as my first passenger 3 days after the ink had dried. The first part of the flight was ok...but when it came time to land the winds had shifted and a there was a killer cross wind. I reduced flaps at each attempt to land, but there was not much room left on the rudder. So, I landed at an other airport with better wind alignment. The FBO sent over two instructors to fetch us back to the airport. I was embarassed, but still alive.

[ QUOTE ]
"Good mornin' Atlanta, Katana xxxxx, with you level at FL290".

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you've got good habits before you even start training.

</sarcasm>

Once after a lesson, my instructor got out of the plane while I was struggling to push my seat back so I could get out. Finally, the seat slams all the way back and the plane starts moving backward. I quickly slid down and slammed the brakes and the nose goes way up, and then comes back down. I then see my instructor over the nose, and then realize it was just him pushing the plane back into the space. Was pretty embarrassed, but luckily the tail didn't hit the ground.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the funniest thing was watching a Piper Tomahawk trying to taxi out of the parking spot with the tie down still attached.

You figure if the pilot didn't get any forward motion with full power and four minutes of trying, that something wasn't right...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a 172 with three feet of what was left of the tiedown strap dragging behind it on the way to runup? Actually, I was more impressed that the little Cessna had enough oomph in it to snap the rope (Or that apparently no one noticed breakaway power was 2500 rpm).

Probably the most embarassing was forgetting to close the door of the airplane on my commercial checkride
shocked.gif
Still eeked out a pass though
grin.gif

I once landed at SNA while the guy on the parallel did a gear-up.... all the airliners were on freq asking how long it would take to sweep the plane off

[ QUOTE ]

I once landed at SNA while the guy on the parallel did a gear-up.... all the airliners were on freq asking how long it would take to sweep the plane off

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't get the SDL special? When a plane landed gear up there once, an anonymous aircraft radioed on twr freq "Attention, cleanup on Runway 3", as the plane was skidding out. Heard it as I was starting up.

My dad non-reved up to State College on US Airways (I work part-time for them in SCE) since I had invited him to take a flight with me back to Jersey for a few days for Thanksgiving. I had filed IFR for the flight that night and everything was going quite smoothly...it was a clear night, no turbulence, etc. The only problem had been the alternator light coming on while on the ground still in SCE...and actually, the engine quit as I taxied it from the flight school I rented the plane at over to the FBO to pick up my Dad (cold night...once it warmed up enough, everything was fine).

Anyway, made it past Philly and Philadelphia Approach handed my over to McGuire Approach in Jersey. Eventually I got "64C, airport is at 12 o'clock, 10 miles, advise airport in sight." So I get closer, start clicking the mike, still can't pick out the runway but have the airport beacon...and I knew where it was because of the handheld GPS I was using. So I eventually thought I had the runway even though lights wouldnt click on with the mike, thought I had some approach lights, and began my descent, letting Approach know I had field in sight, only to get to about 100-200 feet above the ground to realize they were a small patch of blue taxiway lights. So I quickly climbed back up, and contacted Approach and declared a missed approach. I mentioned that I couldnt get the lights on and they gave me a few phone numbers to dial up...so while my dad used his cell phone to dial a few numbers, I was given some vectors by Approach, and I was also looking at some alternate fields. Couldn't get ahold of anyone, so my dad called my mom (who was meeting us at the airport to give us a ride home). She got ahold of a woman who was in charge of the airport but was at home sleeping, who said nastily that there was no pilot named Ed flying in that night and that the lights are turned off at 9 pm unless prior arrangement is made. Needless to say, I looked at the back of my approach plate and sure enough, saw that notation made. So I eventually picked another airport and landed there to be greeted by a cop, who saw the plane land and got suspicious because he'd never seen a plane land that late at night at this field.

So an hour later, my mom manages to make it over to this airport to pick us up. I learned an important lesson that night to read even the back of an approach plate much more carefully.

Launched on a night IFR flight on a warm night and I couldn't get the window closed after takeoff. Not the embarrassing part.

Since I couldn't get the window closed and it was getting pretty cold the higher I climbed I wanted to go back to the airport. Instead of telling approach I need to return to the field, I kind of asked in a really whinny voice "Can I go back?"

Once on the runup when i thought i had the fuel selector on the right engine on when actually it was just below on, anyway the engine just died from fuel starvation and it took me a second to figure out what the hell happened.

Also once on my first private solo i was told to make a 360 and taxi back for take off, well i mis understood the guy and taxied back on the taxi way then back to the beggining of the runway, thought i got in big trouble but the guy was understanding, just goes to show if your ever unsure just ask.

Well it's his fault since he told you to do a 360 instead of a 180, anyway.
grin.gif

Relax. Just yanking your chain a little. In fun.
smile.gif

I have had a few here and there.

The most embrassing was probably when I first started taking lessons (like 4th or 5th lesson). I was out on the ramp pre-flighting when my instructor called and cancelled due to car problems. He apologized and hung up. Then I stood there for 45 minutes trying to tie the tie-down knots (I had not figured out how to make slip knots yet). Finally, I had to walk in and ask someone, with everyone looking at me and thinking "what an idiot!"

Another time was when I was flying an unfamiliar Cessna 172 solo to the practice area. I could not figure out how to switch the radios from loud speaker to headset. I finally taxied up, called my instuctor (who was in the school building) and he came out and fixed the problem.

And there is that time when I tried to revover from a very unstable approach at York, PA. Instead of going around, I bounced 10 times as I slowly drifted to the left. By the time the plane stopped boucing, I was inches from the edge of the runway.
crazy.gif

Mahesh

Mahesh

Here's another...

first time flying with my wife. Did everything properly - went through the passenger brief, made sure she was comfortable, had all my charts nicely folded, checklist ready.

Go to start the plane. OOPS! Left the keys in the FBO...

Man the more I think, the more there are!

During my PPL check ride, I stuffed my kneepad and charts in my bag after the oral portion. We took off and then I realized that everything was securely fastened in the back seat. Luckliy the DPE took the controls while I reached in the back.

Also after my check ride at FDK (which was at a different airport from my home base), I forgot and left the maintenance logbooks in the DPE's office. I flew home to JYO happily. Then I realized that I left the books there. So I took off again, flew to FDK and got them from her.
grin.gif

Mahesh

This didn't happen to me, but it actually happened at our school. One of the second year students (the more senior ones) was in a hurry on a solo flight. He ended up taxing and taking off with a tow bar still on the front of the 172. I have no idea how he didn't notice!

Here's one I just thought of:

On one of my very first flights in a Piper Archer (solo this time) with a still-wet PPL, I almost made a Citation go around. If anyone's ever flown out of CRQ (McClellan-Palomar north of San Diego), you'd know just how hard it is to see the airport in late afternoon.

I was #1 for the approach after holding for 15-20 minutes outside of the Class D on a very busy day. I was told to make a straight-in for Runway 24, and to "maintain max forward airspeed for a Citation on the ILS." I complied, and due to my lack of experience in type, and the difficulty seeing the airport, I ended up crossing the threshold roughly 20 knots fast. I ended up floating past A2 and A3, and because the sun was in my eyes, I taxied PAST A4. At this point, the controller was yelling at me to "get off the runway NOW! Citation on a mile final. Exit A5 immediately!" I fast-taxied down to the end of Runway 24 and got off, just as the Citation touched down. Whew.

LOL, ^^^^ I can imagine, some controller in the tower just screaming his brains off at you and then ripping off his headset.

[ QUOTE ]
This didn't happen to me, but it actually happened at our school. One of the second year students (the more senior ones) was in a hurry on a solo flight. He ended up taxing and taking off with a tow bar still on the front of the 172. I have no idea how he didn't notice!

[/ QUOTE ]

He is lucky the prop didn't strike it. I've seen pics of that happening and it's ugly

Back