Most Efficient Use of VA Benefits

Counselor

What's the best sequence to train to maximize your use of VA benefits? I know instrument needs to be done concurrently with commercial for VA to pay for instrument, but will the VA pay for private multi add-on before you start commercial/instrument so all those commercial/instrument hours are PIC?

What's the best sequence to train to maximize your use of VA benefits? I know instrument needs to be done concurrently with commercial for VA to pay for instrument, but will the VA pay for private multi add-on before you start commercial/instrument so all those commercial/instrument hours are PIC?

No

Here how I did it.

Part 141 Instrument Airplane - VA Paid
Part 141 Commercial Multi w/ SE Add-On - VA Paid.

During my Commercial Multi, the first 13 hours was really learning the private maneuvers. At 15 hours I did a checkride for the ME Addon to my private. Since the VA paid for all of my Commercial Multi training, they also, paid for my ME add-on to my private. If that makes sense.

Just to tag onto this thread if you dont mind. Does anyone know how the new Post 9/11 GI Bill is going to handle flight training costs? I havent seen a mention of this anywhere. I know currently they pay 60% of certain ratings, will this remain the same for the new bill or will they be upping it since it seems like everything else is getting upped.

The post 9/11 GI Bill, to my knowledge, will not provide any flight training costs.

If you want to use your GI Bill for flight training, you'll need to use the MGIB.

The VA is currently working on some language that provides some much needed clarification in terms of attending a school that provides a flight program. It's my understanding that they will pay for the educational requirements, but not for any of the associated flight training costs.

Here how I did it.

Part 141 Instrument Airplane - VA Paid
Part 141 Commercial Multi w/ SE Add-On - VA Paid.

During my Commercial Multi, the first 13 hours was really learning the private maneuvers. At 15 hours I did a checkride for the ME Addon to my private. Since the VA paid for all of my Commercial Multi training, they also, paid for my ME add-on to my private. If that makes sense.

Surreal - did you do your instrument in a multi? And I guess you just did the multi add-on checkride on your own dime?

The VA didn't pay for any of my checkride fees. But, they reimbursed me for all of my Part 141 VA Approved training (IA, Commercial SEL/MEL).

No, my IA was done in a SEL.

In my opinion, the most efficient use of your VA educational benefits would be using them towards a 4-year degree.

In my opinion, the most efficient use of your VA educational benefits would be using them towards a 4-year degree.

What if you can do both?

;)

The VA paid for a large chunk of my flight training, and my undergraduate degree. I also managed to time the system right that I ended up making money when it is all said and done.

Which is completly doable using the GI Bill for both flying and college.
You just can't do it concurrently which sucks. :(

Here's kinda how I did mine.

Paid for the private out of pocket (no getting around that).
VA reimbursed for Instrument, Commercial Single, Multi add-on.

I'm doing my CFII/CFI/MEI training part 61 because you can get that done in the same amount of money (out of pocket expense) when you compare what you'll need via part 61 vs. part 141.

By doing the CFI stuff part 61 I'm saving that money that the VA would have reimbursed me for flight training towards my degree.

Like mentioned before, you cannot use your GI bill while flight training and going to traditional school (I'm coming out of pocket right now so I can do both).

Keep in mind that you'll want to use your GI bill for all your flight training before transfering your MGIB to the new post 9/11 GI bill. Once you make the switch, you're stuck using the post 9/11.

My plan is to have all my flight training done prior to August 1st so I can transfer over to the post 9/11 bill and use the remainder of my MGIB funds (approx 25k) for my degree. I shouldn't have a problem getting all my flight training done and my degree using the GI bill. The college I'm going to here in Houston is very inexpensive so I lucked out on that. The tuition at the school you decide to go to may be extremely higher than the school I'm going to.

Good luck and plan it out. It will save you time and money. Use your benefits to the maximum extent possible.

Another thing to keep in mind is using the new post 9/11 GI bill for school and taking the E-5 BAH stipend and putting that towards getting your ratings at a local FBO. Of course this would probably only work if you could live with family and go to school but definatly something to think about.

Also I researched the GI VA website and found some stuff on the post 9/11 gi bill. Like surreal said it seems that they are still figuring the language on what kind of flight training if any it will pay for.

I posted this next paragragh in another thread...maybe some of you could use it.

*Edit* Hey guys after further research I found this section on the VA website that has a chart showing what types of training each GI Bill covers. For flight training it says no for post 9/11 bill. However there is a red 3 next to it and when you read what that means it says "3 If your training is offered at an Institution of Higher Learning you may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits."

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Benefit_Comparison_Chart.htm#SCHOOLS

Check out the site. Also you can follow a link there to see what the E-5 BAH rate is for your zip code.

Matthew

Back