Most efficient piston twin.

Well, I was thinking the DA-42 until you mentioned maitenence costs and reputation. We have six and can only keep one or two flying at any one time. Based purely on fuel, the Twinstar will beat any other twin. It cruises at 4.5 gal/hr per side.

The Twinstar is very efficient, well at least when everything is working. TAS is normally somewhere between 140 - 150 burning 10.5 gallons total at 70% power. However, the seats are uncomfortable for the long flights, but I really enjoyed flying it. And they have maintenance problems that have kept our two grounded numerous times. :banghead:

On a related note, does anyone know what it takes to get Single Engine IFR with Pax part 135? Singles are much better in terms of fuel burn, mx etc. however, it seems difficult to get the certification, otherwise 210s would be the way to go.

On a related note, does anyone know what it takes to get Single Engine IFR with Pax part 135? Singles are much better in terms of fuel burn, mx etc. however, it seems difficult to get the certification, otherwise 210s would be the way to go.

You basically have to throw a temper tantrum to get the FAA to follow their own rules regarding single engine IFR carrying pax. 135.163 tells you everything you need to have installed to be legal, but for some reason the FAA won't sign off on most single engine airplanes even if they meet all the requirements.

I've always dreamed of starting a 135 charter operation in the Southwestern NY/Western PA/Eastern OH/Northern WV corridor, but EAS subsidies have the small markets there more or less locked up. Besides, I really only have the vaguest idea about the FARs relating to such operations. :laff:

Back