MOSI or Aquarium Tour

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
I'd like to get a tour going of either the Museum of Science and Industry or the Shedd Aquarium/Oceanarium or both...

We would be including the cost of the tour in with the price of your NetworkJC pass.

We can get a discount for MOSI but not for the aquarium MOSI on 06/08 is a free general admission day so it'll save us a lot of money if we use that friday for a MOSI tour. Active military can obtain free general admission to both MOSI and Shedd Aquarium. I know some who are active military on the site, but if you vote in the poll, PM me and let me know that your active military so i don't "buy" you a ticket.

At the time we will be in town, MOSI's special exhibit will be CSI: Crime Scene Investiation Experience....it is not included in the general admission cost.

General admission price for MOSI on 06/09 and 06/10, if we have 20+ people touring, would be $9.50/person. it does not include the special exhibit (CSI Experience) and I doubt if it includes the U-505 submarine tour. General admission for the submarine is an extra $5.. and the special exhibit (CSI Experience) is probably an extra $9...so i'll find out if we can get that included (depending if folks want to tour these two extras). If we don't have 20+ for a group tour, individual general admission tickets are $11 a pop.

Price for the Aquarium would be $23/person. There are no group tours or special tours listed on the website unfortunately.

I've been to MOSI before when i was young... I liked it a ton because it's more of a hands on type science museum and has a lot to offer...I've also been on the sub tour and that was worth the $$...I have not been to the aquarium, from what i recall.

The average visit takes about 2.5 hrs at Shedd Aquarium and probably 2-4 hrs at MOSI.

If we're going to do either one or both of these tours, i have to get the tickets ASAP to guarantee us an entrance time slot.

IF you plan on going and want a ticket to one or both, please fill out the poll... if you don't know if your going yet and/or don't want to confirm attendance, don't fill out the poll...I have to actually buy the tickets... so it's important that i have an accurate count as soon as possible (esp for MOSI).

This is for people who are definately going to be there in town during the weekend of Jun 8 - Jun 10 for NetworkJC: Chicago.

Just as an added extra....I'll put in a "maybe" section of the poll so i get an idea of how many would *like* to go but can't confirm yet.

the poll will remain open until 1/26.. after that, i have to schedule.

These are the prices:

for 06/08
Shedd Aquarium = $23/person
MOSI Gen Admission = Free
MOSI U-505 Submarine = $5
MOSI CSI Experience = ~$9

for 06/09 and 06/10
Shedd Aquarium = $23/person
MOSI Gen Admission = $11 individual, $9.50 group of 20+
MOSI U-505 Submarine = $5
MOSI CSI Experience = ~$9

If you do the Aquarium, you will be subjected to that Travesty they made of Meigs Field. I used to enjoy sitting outside the Aquarium in the Shadow of Old Soldier Field and watch the Air Traffic in and out of Meigs. Daley should BURN!!!!!

If you do the Aquarium, you will be subjected to that Travesty they made of Meigs Field. I used to enjoy sitting outside the Aquarium in the Shadow of Old Soldier Field and watch the Air Traffic in and out of Meigs. Daley should BURN!!!!!
:yeahthat:

I live really close to the MOSI(about 2 miles from it), I can ride the city bus there to the museum. If you live in Chicago you get a discount with general admission and they have the 727 there plus a little HO scale train set of Chicago and the Pacific northwest you can see from out the windows of the plane.

If I come (80% sure I can make it), I'd be interested in any and all of the tours. It sounds like all of those attractions are pretty high quality...can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

As a semi-local I would say Science and Industry is way more interesting. I have liked it better since I was little. Lots of different types of exhibits, many of which are interactive. But I will go to whichever you guys plan.

About the free days, if possible avoid them. I understand that they save money, but during the summer kids aren't in school. The museums are packed on free days and not nearly as much fun because of wait times for exhibits, bathrooms, etc. Of course this is just my 2 cents.

so it's be better to go on a pay day huh?

so do you think the adults would appreciate MOSI or the aquarium more? cuz one of them we're gonna have to do on a friday afternoon, the other on a saturday morning to get everything in AND keep the kids entertained during the tower/tracon tours.

I went to MOSI in December, the 727 was pretty cool. A few full size trains to look at. Good exhibits here and there (at the best). It's a huge place though. Took us 5 hours to see all the good stuff. The Sub should be a definite. It's the coolest part.

About the free days, if possible avoid them. I understand that they save money, but during the summer kids aren't in school. The museums are packed on free days and not nearly as much fun because of wait times for exhibits, bathrooms, etc. Of course this is just my 2 cents.

I would most defintely agree with that statement. I was there on a free day this past summer ... not a good experience .. especially because a lot of kids in summer camps and other activities will go there especially if it turns out to be a rainy day ... honestly i would say to go on the pay day as well .. usually its a lot nicer then having the exhibits extremely packed .....

ok... how bout aquarium in the morning during tower/tracon tours (if they're gonna be around then), then MOSI in the afternoon on saturday?

we'd probably have to try for blues fest either friday afternoon or sunday then... altho i have a feeling most people will be flying out on sunday

ok... how bout aquarium in the morning during tower/tracon tours (if they're gonna be around then), then MOSI in the afternoon on saturday?

we'd probably have to try for blues fest either friday afternoon or sunday then... altho i have a feeling most people will be flying out on sunday

Thats probably a good idea ... especially going to the Shed in the morning .. usually a lot more peaceful and easier to get into shows like the dolphin show etc if that your plan.... and the Blues fest is defintely good any night that ya go :)

Sounds good. the only thing is that the second saturday in the month(The 9th) I help out with our Young Eagles Program here at the Gary Airport. We work with the Chicago Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen to do the rally. If the weather is nice then they may need me there. We get a lot of kids during the summer between June and September for our rallies. One june saturday, we had about 100 people and we flew 97 kids. :)

Back