Moscow SJ100 crash evacuation video

IMS, the guy who started up the slide eventually did get up there and fish one or two people out who almost certainly would have succumbed otherwise. Very Russian!

is that two people? Watch closely when he goes up the slide, it almost appears like it’s two bags that come down the slide that one of the ground workers picks up, then him back down the slide. Hard to confirm, but that’s what it appears to be...

is that two people? Watch closely when he goes up the slide, it almost appears like it’s two bags that come down the slide that one of the ground workers picks up, then him back down the slide. Hard to confirm, but that’s what it appears to be...

Yeah there was a closer video released when it happened, IMS. Pretty sure dude got a couple of people out, then came flying back down. He wasn't up there long, understandably. When I say that it's Very Russian, it's both brave and possibly kinda foolhardy. But mostly brave.

Cliffs notes: Plane was struck by lightning, lost electrical power, captain decided to turn back and hand fly the plane, squawked 7600, missed the turn to final and circled back. At 900ft AGL the LLWS alert went off (apparently they didnt lose all their electrical). Pilot continued, crossed the landing threshold way overspeed, touched down 900 meters past the threshold, porpoised down the runway, the last impact of which was greater than 5Gs and caused the wing spar to collapse, rupturing the fuel lines.

Seems to me that this one was not the planes fault, although apparently the SJ100 has had a lot of dispatch problems, all the accidents involved some form of pilot error.
& @Roger Roger
Alright so essentially at some point I'm gonna say something and you won't understand and I'll effectively be waving my hands magic trick style. When I say something you don't understand you can always ask or PM or whatever, I'm not gonna bite your head off but keep in mind I was not a high powered engineer madman. I was a technician. So first thing first lightning.

For lightning to pop a certified box, for it to kill a computer, you have to be working very hard to screw that up. Easy way to do that, just off the top of my head, if you plug in a cable bundle and you don't tighten down the male end, also if you don't correctly install the box into the bonding seat. You ever been on an RJ or really any new Collins avionics package and your captain pops out the lever under the screen? basically pinch the buttons in on the bottom of the screen and a little T handle will pop out. You can spin those, and if you spin them too much you'll pull the screen out the mount and it'll stop working. Well the computers boxes are seated into mounts much the same way. This is all so they have great bonding to the airframe. What do I mean by bonding.

Well, metal touching metal isn't enough, we'd rather see them bonded but pressed together with a slow screwing down. The metal will get to .2 micro (10-6 )ohms or less if you're doing it right, it's very recreatable and even a stupid monkey can tighten those back down. Alright, those of you that are electrical people are kinda following, those who hate electricity your eyes rolls back into your head. Lemme wake you up. Lightning hits an airplane, every box is effectively a part of the airplane even though they are separated by that .2 micro ohm. Well lets goto the board and do the math. 10 mega volts. 10,000,000 volts. whats a micro ohm? 10 to the negative 6th, so 2 amps difference at most from one side of the box to the other and protecting for that ain't hard. If the resistance is higher because someone didn't tighten down the box or the plug, well, now youre talking .005-.1 ohms. That's about what most half assed connections range through. Congrats how does 100,000 amps sound running through your box, through your cell phone for instance? Not good.

This is a small piece of a large puzzle.

Losing power on an airplane losing the FBW computer? That's a deep dive into the systems I don't have a Sukhoi book handy. That isn't really what I did. Does box pass certification (yes/no)? Let's test it and find out. Rarely would I find myself looking at system logic, and if I did, it was because we were trying to find some sneaky circuit pulling ground by going back through another circuit. Lightning can fry a box like I stated above, but both FWB computers? I suppose if there was a "no vote" system so if one computer goes the other one basically sticks you in manual reversion. Usually the computers are set up to vote the bad input or computer off the island and you'll continue with FBW. Also, if it's just a power loss issue and you've gone to DC because the RAT won't extend and the APU gen won't come on, jesus that's a bad day and your whole airplane should be burned even if it makes it down without a 5G crash. Does that mean the Russians certified knowing that would happen? Unlikely.

Here's what I know. Suhkoi designed and built that for the Russian market with a bunch of French engineers helping using at least some American parts. Hamilton Sunstrand, Collins, and BAE were all getting in on that one. So the plane did a FVT (full vehicle test) with our guys monitoring and supporting, and they completed that testing successfully. Shortly after they went to the europeans for authorization to sell in europe and I believe that was the EASA group Wiki refers to, they got it. The russians signaled they wanted to do it right, they took program delays like you'd expect during development, they used good manufacturing sources. I think you're probably looking at something that met certification standards. If lightning fries something, it's usually MX fault, someone doesn't know what theyre doing or don't care, and they don't follow the IAW's. Let's face it, most good sourcing for writeups comes from US pilots, not Russians. Western Europe is pretty good.

Is there a system logic problem? We'd hear about it by now. I suppose if someone has the report and can link it I can download it and shame myself by putting it in the middle of the desktop until I finally read it.

No, no, that all makes sense. Remember I’ve put a number of avionics boxes into part 23 airplanes which is of course not really the same thing but I kinda speak some of the same lingo. Don’t ask me about AC witchcraft tho.

And I guess they went into direct law which idk what had to go offline to make that happen but from my admittedly very limited understanding that would be like 2/3 computers maybe?

I stunned myself by seeming to comprehend all of that.
I wonder if you'll get the other facets of lightning. You kinda get how transformer coupling works?

When lightning hits the airplane you have a lot of direct effects. So many many coulombs (just think of it as energy being deposited) going into a central point and exiting somewhere else, along the way you get a ton of little pinpricks where the lightning holds for a minute. So while the lightning is traveling across the airframe, or another way of saying that is, an electrical current is running down a metal surface with miles of wires inside, and that electrical field is now coupled onto internal harnesses. Say your harness from a FWB computer to an actuator, all the sudden during the strike you're reading 150V and 300A going back and forth every time another strike hits. Remember the strike is going to resonate (the flicker you see) back and forth 20-60 times. Boom Boom Boom Boom

No, no, that all makes sense. Remember I’ve put a number of avionics boxes into part 23 airplanes which is of course not really the same thing but I kinda speak some of the same lingo. Don’t ask me about AC witchcraft tho.

And I guess they went into direct law which idk what had to go offline to make that happen but from my admittedly very limited understanding that would be like 2/3 computers maybe?
See this is whats great, we got airbus guys on here and that's that French stuff. The French engineers in Russia weren't Airbus but the French engineers all seem to learn at the same few places and they all use current industry people to teach it so we should be able to get someone to tell us.

You ever been on an RJ or really any new Collins avionics package and your captain pops out the lever under the screen? basically pinch the buttons in on the bottom of the screen and a little T handle will pop out. You can spin those, and if you spin them too much you'll pull the screen out the mount and it'll stop working
If any of you here that aren't supposed to be touching these things decide you're bored in cruise and want to check it out do MX a favor and study the AFM or the QRH instead. Maybe take a nap. They aren't touch screens and you literally have no reason to touch them.

If any of you here that aren't supposed to be touching these things decide you're bored in cruise and want to check it out do MX a favor and study the AFM or the QRH instead. Maybe take a nap. They aren't touch screens and you literally have no reason to touch them.

Does this also apply to the Flight Engineer Memorial Panel on the 76? Because I haven't done it yet, but I kinda want to. Maybe when the Captain has gone back to the rest area and us little Elves are left alone in front? What could go wrong? It'll be fun!

Does this also apply to the Flight Engineer Memorial Panel on the 76? Because I haven't done it yet, but I kinda want to. Maybe when the Captain has gone back to the rest area and us little Elves are left alone in front? What could go wrong? It'll be fun!
I've made it obvious over the years that I've never worked anything 121 so a 767 is something I have zero experience with, not even fueling one back in the day. Pilots with tools have caused me much consternation over the years. There have been one or two shining stars, but they were mechanics on the airplanes they were flying before they were flying it. Keep your filthy hands to yourself. I've come across a few situations where some unknown person tried to take something apart and couldn't put it back it together so it comes home with a nondescript squawk and some folks standing around whistling with their hands in their pockets. If it's broken it's not the end of the world.

Pilots with tools have caused me much consternation over the years.

Evidently! Dang, dude. If it mends fences, back when I flew 135/91 I was that guy. You know. The guy who said "Oh, we're here in Bismark ND with no one around but the wolves, it's 3am, and we have a nav light out that we can't...ehm, *technically* MEL. But maybe we, you know, didn't notice". Just kidding. I was the guy who AOG'd the airplane and made some poor bastard drive 3 hours through a snow storm to put a new bulb in. Because if we'd "let it slide", we'd have been taking food directly out of some MXer's babies mouths. You're welcome. Solidarity, amirite?

Talking about russik, Soyuz just deorbited with a russian commander and 2 american astronauts. NASA was streaming it live.

Or WaS iT StreAmiNG IT LivE????

Conspiracy jokes aside, it's cool to see how much they have to stick to procedures. One minute late to deorbit and they could land sooo far from their planned site. Then SAR takes a long time to get there, and that's not very fun, is it?

Back