More UAL 747's Coming Back

Snow

'Not a new member'
More UAL 747\'s Coming Back

Saw this over at airliners.net (and no I'm not a member there, just like looking at the pretty pictures
smile.gif
) Dunno if it's true or not but I hope so, I do remember reading somewhere that given a full load, a 747 is more cost effective per passenger than a 777. (or any other widebody airliner for that matter)

[ QUOTE ]
I was on a United Airlines 747-400 today (IAD-LAX), and the flight attendants told me that United is bringing back many of its 747's and parking some of the 777's. This is because the 747's are now cheaper to operate because United has been able to alter the leases and the 777 leasing company isn't lowering the prices for them like the company for the 747's. Also, The pilots make the same amount of money on the 747 as they would on the 777. This and the paycut from the flight attendants (and booking only the minimum amount of required crew) will allow United to bring back virtually all of their 747-400's back into service. Great news!

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: More UAL 747\'s Coming Back

Yeah, the 777 wasnt made to replace the 747. It was just to bridge the huge gap between the 747 and 767. I not sure on the numbers but the 747 can carry a crap load more weight than the 777.

I sure hope that is true. I love the United 747's

[ QUOTE ]
I love the United 747's

[/ QUOTE ]

Coulda fooled me!

YEAH BABY! That's what I want to hear! GO UAL 747's! GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

Did they ever end up selling those 7 747's to Thai Airways? Anyone know?
confused.gif

The 777 started life as a the 767-400 but went through too many changes. It shares a lot of 747 routes, but are not competing products.

I doubt that the 744 are cheaper to operate 4 engines vs. 2 is the biggest thing, also the 777 was built so much later then the original 747 which means everything they learnt in the last 30 years was introduced, I would imagine placement of stufff, accessibililty etc, would play a big portion into saving time/costs.

yeah prospective pilot. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! United 747's all the way. 747 ALL..........THE...................WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I've calmed down now.
crazy.gif

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! United 747's all the way. 747 ALL..........THE...................WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, so much enthusiasm. It's "just" a jet...
cool.gif

Ya, I like the 747 better than the 777 anyway. The only other thing I can think of is that the D check on the 747 cost a lot more than the 777, but hey if UAL says its better.

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that the 744 are cheaper to operate 4 engines vs. 2 is the biggest thing

[/ QUOTE ]

"The baseline 747-400 delivers more range, better fuel economy, lower noise and lower operating costs than the previous 747 models.

The 747-400 has a range of approximately 7,260 nautical miles (13,450 km), and the lowest cost per seat-mile of any twin-aisle airplane in service today. It has a dispatch-reliability rate of nearly 99 percent."

Streight from the Boeing website

Another cool fact

"The 747 continues to be the world's fastest subsonic jetliner, cruising at Mach .85 -- or 85 percent of the speed of sound. Along with the popular Boeing 777, the 747 is a key element of the Boeing long-range market strategy."

I wanna fly them one day, if United doesn't make it looks like I'm stuck with NorthWest (or perhaps Qantas)

Does Quantas have a U.S. base. Other wise that would give me a third choice.
smile.gif

Tom

Um I don't think any international airlines have bases outside their home country. Plus you spelt it wrong, it's QANTAS (Queensland And Northern Terrtory Air Service)
They're a cool airline, they were the first to get the new 747-400ERs and have orders for about 10 or so A380s

[ QUOTE ]
Um I don't think any international airlines have bases outside their home country

[/ QUOTE ]
You would be surprised how many airlines do in fact have bases outside their home country. I know for a fact that Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have a certain number of major cities around the world that their pilots can be based in, seniority in the company plays a fairly huge part in it all though. Cathay pilots take huge pay cuts to live outside of Hong Kong.

Ah there isnt and U in Qantas. Doesnt Nortwest have a base in asia. Or is that just a hub and all the pilot commute there. Looks like a hub on their route map but I could be wrong

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
Um I don't think any international airlines have bases outside their home country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I think United has one in Tokyo but who knows, they may not anymore.

Prospective Pilot - the Thai Airways deal fell through. Not sure why, but a buddy of mine is a rep there and supposedly the deal is off.

Are you talking about maintance bases or just pilot lockers?

Back