More Messages from MikeD

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
Again, thanks so much for the effort, it's really nice to see all that kind of support. To answer your questions, I'll have to guess a potputti of sundries would do, since I don't see everyone from my unit at the same time (we get divvied out to different places, so you may not see someone for a while), but it appears that items I see in our tents seem to be crest/colgate/sure/old spice/degree/speedstick, etc. We do have power sources at base camp, generators, phones, etc, it's not totally like living off the land. So we could support an X-box or something if you really wanted to get something like that. That's unreal......enough donations for something like an x-box.

Situation here is crappy WX. Took me a number of times to land a few days ago since I couldn't breakout of the WX for landing, and didn't have enough fuel to divert, not to mention the divert field went way below mins anyway. Only other option was to climb to a tanker track, but if for any reason the airborne tanker went sour or my jet couldn't receive, I'd be in a world of hurt (dump the jet and bailout over enemy territory). TACAN went down, so I was fully dependant on a PAR approach for landing in some serious WX and under NVGs. (ask Doug to decipher all of this to really understand the gravity of the situation and how much pucker factor there really was; worst WX situation I'd seen yet).

Glad to hear all is OK with everyone back home. Being out here is becoming a pain....how I'd love to be able to get back to AZ and home to Queen Creek.

You know, we need to all get together when I get back, grab some dinner like some steaks at Mortons of Chicago, or some other really good place.

Speaking of steaks.......here's an idea....any chance of having a place like Omaha Steaks or something like that......places like that that send beef to anywhere. There's an Omaha Steaks in Scottsdale or Phoenix.......usually they're able to ship beef to places in dry ice crates....sometimes they run specials. Some burgers/bacon wrapped filets, New Yorks....one thing we DO have here is grilling capability.

Might be a thought to check into...........

Say hi to Dougie and pass long this PM to him.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ] I told him we'd look into the steaks and into the x-box (or similar) idea....

then he mentioned this:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh..forgot to mention. Yes, there's blankets here, but they're old and not very good. I sleep on a bunk with a sheet covering the bunk, an old blanket over me, and a field jacket for a pillow since the few available military ones suck.

Also, there's a damn frog living in my tent. It goes "ribbit-ribbit" for a couple hours and hops around at night (in the day....I guess since I primarily work nights) but I have yet to physically see the thing. Would be nice to have it to talk to.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ] I think we might have to send him a tamogotchi type thing so he has someone besides a frog to talk to.... are those things still out? or maybe a doll would work? hahahhaha - or better yet, do those videophones work yet?! or maybe I should send him my old 20minute per tape camcorder??! anything's probably better than talking to a frog! I mean honestly - he's a married man's man and not looking for a "prince charming"! hahahhaha
crazy.gif

yup - i crack myself up sometimes!

[ QUOTE ]
It is good to hear he is safe - we could send him a Furby - they talk back and what not!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what they need on the front lines -- a backtalking firball!
smile.gif

how about a sleeping bag or some sort of cushion like an airmattress (little excessive?) but since he's sleeping on a sheet...yeesh!

While those are both extremely fun games...If I were over there living that crap every day, I would rather play Super Mario.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
While those are both extremely fun games...If I were over there living that crap every day, I would rather play Super Mario.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched a video of someone beating Super Mario 3 in eleven minutes! I thought I wasted too much time on those games...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched a video of someone beating Super Mario 3 in eleven minutes! I thought I wasted too much time on those games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, no way
shocked.gif
It took me hours to beat that freakin game, and that was before I knew about the flute trick

So - what's better? X-box or PS2 or individual gameboys???

I have a PS1, so i wouldn't know!

[ QUOTE ]
So - what's better? X-box or PS2 or individual gameboys???

I have a PS1, so i wouldn't know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, an X-box has a faster processor than a PS2, and better graphics. It also comes with a 10GB hd so you dont have to worry about memory sticks.
wink.gif

I'd say a game boy.

I saw something on the Discovery Wings Channel about military planes and one of the pilots said he spent a lot of time letting the computer fly the plane until he got to the battle / taget.

So a gameboy might be cool since they could play in the plane...of course I don't know if the A-10 works like that or not.

My thinking would be that the more portable the better.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
So a gameboy might be cool since they could play in the plane

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda doubt they would do any video gaming in a single seat jet.
smile.gif

I don't know,

The dude I saw on Wings was flying a single seat jet and said that after his missions, he'd put the AP on, put his walkman on, and eat breakfast.

I don't remember exactly what he was flying, but I do remember that it was just him.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
I saw something on the Discovery Wings Channel about military planes and one of the pilots said he spent a lot of time letting the computer fly the plane until he got to the battle / taget.

So a gameboy might be cool since they could play in the plane...of course I don't know if the A-10 works like that or not.

My thinking would be that the more portable the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on the protable devices, but I highly doubt that Mike's going to be doing any autopilot flying. Remember, from the second he takes off until the second he lands, he's in Indian country.

Actually, come to think of it, he doesn't even get a break from it being hostile territory when he's on the ground!

Oh, yeah, one last thing. Who said the French aren't in Iraq? Mike did find a frog.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

The Xbox can also play DVD's just like a real DVD player. Who is going to keep this stuff when they come home? Not that it matters, but I was just curious? Will they leave it for the rest of the troops or come home with Mike or split it all up between them?

That's an awesome idea!!

You can get those Atari joystick thingy's that have like 10 games in 'em and only cost like $20 a pop.

Just hook it up to a TV and you're good to go.

Naunga

Back