More frustrations...

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Well, Ive been working on my PP for two years now, and ive certainly had some stumbling blocks (bad schedules, living far away, 9/11, ex-instructor getting thrown in jail buzzing a fair)... im certainly not as far along as I'd like to be. Im 20 years old as of April 27, and Im planning on doing this as a career... but i need to get going. My current instructor and I are having scheduling problems, as he works a full time job for a local surveying/engineering firm and he is always on call. I do enjoy flying with him very much, he is an awesome guy and he has hooked my up with some awesome stuff. Right now he is charging me $50 dual in his 150, and he has let me come ride with him in his work planes... so far Ive logged 8.5 hours of multi dual between a commander and a seneca in ATL class B airspace. The problem is, he cannot let me solo his plane anymore since he took it off the line at the local flight school... the flight school closed and i cant solo their planes bc my instructor isnt on their insurance anymore... now, my instructor has told me it wont hurt his feelings if I find someone else bc of our schedule conflicts (right now he is down in the bahama's, flying for work while his boss vacations... not bad huh?)... he said he will do as much dual with me as he can, if I like, and I can go get a checkout with some of the instructors at the FBO who are still flying the old schools planes... however, he doesnt recommend those instructors and calls them marginal at best, and Im not sure how good of shape the planes are in... Another option would be to go to a new school and find an instructor to finish me up. I already drive 40 miles to this school... i have thought about PDK as it has several schools... my instructor said it's still cool to come fly dual with him in the big planes. Im just frustrated... i want to get this finished up within the next two months, and Im at a point where i need to buckle down and do it. Ive taken my written, and I need 1.5 hours of dual crosscountry left, then the solo cross countries and the night and instrument time... i guess what im scared of is im going to go somewhere new and they want to basically start over with me and set me out a lot of money. Any advice or kind words to this frustrated aviator?

Dude that is too bad...

I switched schools during my private training as well. To tell you the truth it's not that big of a deal... If you switch to a 141 school you might have some 'issues' with the paperwork (I didn't luckily: either they forgot to do it or they didn't need to; either way I wasn't gonna ask!). If you go to a 61 school it should be even less of a problem. It'll take 1 or 2 flights for the new guy to asses your situation and flight capabilities; but on the whole it's not that bad.

Two years is a long time to fly as a student. If you want to get it done I highly suggest getting down and dirty with at least two lessons a week. Study up and set a goal to get it done by the end of summer (at the latest). Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]

Two years is a long time to fly as a student. If you want to get it done I highly suggest getting down and dirty with at least two lessons a week. Study up and set a goal to get it done by the end of summer (at the latest). Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My log book looks like swiss cheese (not really) with all the gaps in the blocks of my training!

I can understand your frustrations. I worked on my PPL during my Senior year of high school and it took me forever. I worked for the flight school and I still couldn't get enough time in, but eventually it all worked out. Then once I got to college it was even harder to fly and I pretty much had to wait for the summers. I got my instrument rating two years after my PPL. Now I just graduated college and am finishing up my commercial. I had visions that I would be a CFI by the end of my Junior year, but as you can see, things don't always work out like you plan. I can agree with you on your concerns regarding a new flight school and having to "start over", but I think it is something you might have to look into. Check out the prices and find a place that is fairly priced while still being able to meet your needs. If you are at least a little current at the time, I don't think that it would take all that much time for the instructors to get a feel for where you are in training. Granted they are going to have to get enough flights with you to make sure they are comfortable with your flying (and the school's insurance) but if you are going to fly commercially someday, more flight time can only help. My advice is to find another school, one that can help you finish your goal, and keep on flying with your current instructor to keep up the relationship and possible networking that may include. Also, when you are not flying - keep your mind in tune by constantly keeping up on your study materials. Studying frequently will help make preparing for the oral exam a heck of a lot easier. The roadblocks in training will always be there, you just have to know that it always works out and you will meet the goals that you set forward. Best of luck with your training and keep us updated.

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

It sounds like you've already got some training and experience so you might want to look into some accelerated programs, where they can get you done in a week to get your license. I actually have a student that is taking a checkride right now and I just met him about 10 days ago! (He already had about 40 hours when he met me) We've been flying everyday sometimes twice a day, to get him ready for the checkride. He's still in is oral exam right now as I'm typing now so I hope everything is going well! So anyway, you might want to look at some of the accelerated programs if you have a week or two where you can do nothing but fly. Good luck!

Hey, my student passed! After the oral exam, the examiner called me in for a briefing. I was thinking to myself, I didn't study last night; I'm not ready for an oral exam! But the examiner just said he did very well except for the weather portion of the test. And after the flight, the examiner said to me, "Try to get most of your students in the 172s." My student being 195 and the examiner being 225 on a 110 degree day, I guess they didn't have a very comfortable flight!
laugh.gif

Hello Mav,

Didn't they bust the FAR's with 420 pounds of pilot & pax? Unless that's one hell of a sparsley equipped 152 with minimum fuel, I don't see how they could have gotten away with it! Most 152's I've seen usually have usefull loads of less than 500 pounds. Am I missing something? I've always wondered about all of the 152's I've seen that nearly always appear to be over gross.

Regardless, congratulations on another successful student,

JR

[ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered about all of the 152's I've seen that nearly always appear to be over gross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because they all are.

Back