more death of YOUR rights... from the right

Eagle

From the Eaa

Apparently not to be out-done by Jim McGreevy or even Tom "The
World is My ADIZ" Ridge, a Republican contingent in the New York
State Legislature is now trying to determine how old you have to be
to learn to fly or to get a pilot's license.

The way this one reads, our youthful student pilots from NJ would
not be able to make their cross-countries into or through New York
airspace.

Call your flying friends in New York and/or write the Republican National
Committee to let them know that you're tired of them messing around
with your airspace. Let your business connections know that they are
making the New York region a less and less desirable place to live, fly,
and conduct business.

(see http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/030328_memberalert.html for
the full story)

I wouldn't worry about this; AOPA is making sure the FAA makes state and local governments understand that U.S. airspace is a federal domain, not a local one, and that local government cannot regulate who or what flies in the skies above them.

Thanks for the info. That is really sad that the bill has even been proposed. You can email Mr. Barra (the sponser) at this site: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=014&sh=con

When I was a student I was worried something like this would happen; it obviously hasn't yet and it wouldn't affect me now, however it would be extremely detremential to other young people interested in aviation. Hopefully AOPA and the EAA will jump on it... but let's do all we can to stop it.

obviously it doesn't affect me, but I am just getting more and more sick and GD TIRED of the government and their fluff laws. If this would actually **DO** something I would understand. grrr

Everything is for image. Unless it actually has a well researched and well thought out basis, many laws come out to make people 'feel better' (and to get more votes).

Case in point is our new Prohibited Area over Disneyland. Will someone please tell me what a 3000' high and 3nm radius no fly zone around ANYTHING will do to stop someone dead set on getting in there???

The only good news is that traffic vectored through by ATC may fly through it (supposedly), but then what is the point? All it does is add more work and more of our money to fund bullsh** violations of pilots when that work and money could be spent on something productive!
mad.gif

That applies to sooooo many things it's not even funny.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I dislike the prohibited airspace over Disneyland, it seems to me that all it will do is make busy (airspace wise), congested airspace even more difficult to aviate.

I really hate to say this, but the same way America views ALPA as a bunch of overpaid whiners, America also views AOPA as a group of doctors and lawyers that want to fly their toys over their quiet homes.

I think that some similar laws requiring background checks have been overturned. In my view, the state of NY has no right to make laws regarding pilot certification. That is the sole province of the FAA.

Come on Eagle...you're going to blame the Republicans for this?

Which party does that moron Richard Daley belong to? Guess what....it doesn't start with an R! He's been screaming for a no-fly zone over Chicago!

This is a bi-partisan moron issue.

Chunk

Who cares what party they belong to? All I know is that the people who are doing this kind of nonsense are absolute idiots. It wasn't the PILOTS that were the problem on September 11, 2001, it was the PASSENGERS! And they weren't GA planes, they were commercial jetliners.

But of course, in addition to shutting the barn doors after the horses are long gone, the idiots in charge are locking the wrong doors!

Seems like a common trend for the current administration.

[ QUOTE ]
Come on Eagle...you're going to blame the Republicans for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Republican contingent in the New York
State Legislature is now trying to determine how old you have to be
to learn to fly or to get a pilot's license."

Yes, Yes I think I will.

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about picking your scenarios selectively....what about Mayor Daley again?

[/ QUOTE ]

You equate a city government and/or mayor attempts to shut down a city owned airport for any number of reasons, good or bad, (check SOLBERGairport , Atlantic City NJ and Bader field too btw) with the government passing, or proposing to restrict the freedoms of the individual?

holy crap Chunk, now I truly understand out of touch you are, or so firmly instep with the GOP that you can not see your nose to spite your face.

no wonder you like the patriot act and Darth ashcroft.

(in simplistic Tory terms,of Meigs Field and the proposed nys legislation is an apples and oranges analogy)

Expand your mind some, you might learn something.

Yeah that whole Disney thing was brilliant move...
tongue.gif

The way I heard it from the AOPA the Disney people weren't happy about that, because shortly after the TFR was issued some media outlets starting running stories about how Disney was a terrorist target. Real good for ticket sales.

You know I've said it before (maybe not here), but where are the restrictions on yellow Ryder trucks?

My feeling on all of this sh** is that W's had is one term as president. So he and daddy can sit around and talk about the good old days of bombing Saddam, and we'll get a president with half a clue (Republican, Democrat, whatever).

Once that happens things will go back to some sense of normallcy. I might even say that the new pres will consider doing away with the Dept. Of Homeland Security (or the Dept. Of Tom Ridge Needs an Important Title).

Again my two cent...and I'm not giving refunds.

Naunga

This crap is coming from both sides, trying to characterize it as a partisan issue is moronic in my humble opinion. It's basically politicians pandering to a paranoid public at the expesne of a small minority (pilots).

FWIW - I was at Disney on Saturday, and let me just say...... business AIN'T hurtin'!!! My sister and bro-in-law are season pass holders and they could give two sh*ts what AOPA, the FAA or AAA (for that matter) says.
smile.gif

I can guarantee you that 90% of the public has not clue what a TFR is, nor do they care.

Disney is NOT hurting. Don't believe everything you read.
wink.gif

Well look at Meigs today! Daley, a Democrat, has destroyed the field by cover of darkness. Talk about blatant disregard for rights.

[ QUOTE ]
Well look at Meigs today! Daley, a Democrat, has destroyed the field by cover of darkness. Talk about blatant disregard for rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Lets talk.

1. Exactly what rights do you suppose *YOU* have in regard to flying into Miegs?

2. Please explain the Government's right to do with what they want with Government owned property.

And if you have the intellectual ability...

3. Explain in detail, where *Your* rights as a pilot (or wannabe pilot) have been violated or infringed upon by the events Sunday night.

My guess is you are unable to connect any of the above 3 statements to an infringement of your rights as a pilot, or as an American citizen. So you will take the Tory-lame act and wiggle out of a well thought out answer.

Next?

Flying is a privilege not a right no matter who you're talking about. The 15 year old did not have the 'right' to fly, he had the 'privilege' to. Meaning that taking away that privilege does not rob someone of rights. If you view the destruction of Meigs in that light too, then no rights were infringed, only privileges.

None of that makes it okay to destroy an airport or to impose furthur restrictions on our privilege. So, regardless of what party is at fault, the fact is that we need to stand up to anyone who tries to limit our privileges as pilots.

It's soooo annoying to hear about the crap that goes on in aviation only to hear people saying Democrat this, Republican that...

Maybe if people spend less time here complaining about the responsible party and instead write a few letters it would be *slightly* more productive. Still wouldn't change much I bet but at least our opinions would be known. AOPA and EAA are great but we can't rely on them soley. Letters en masse (???) from real people and not organizations still are a powerful tool. America's still free, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Flying is a privilege not a right no matter who you're talking about. The 15 year old did not have the 'right' to fly, he had the 'privilege' to. Meaning that taking away that privilege does not rob someone of rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

However… The issue becomes valid when the state of NY tries to restrict the **RIGHT** of free travel over their state by those under 18, they are infringing on the rights on a non citizen (of NY). The airspace is NOT NY’s it is America’s

That is why the argument about it being pealing away the rights of the individual holds up.

Next?

Back