More about depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD-medications

ktsai91

I have another question about medications. Because I have depression, OCD, ADD, and PDD I want to know which way is faster for me to get a medical certificate? Get off Prozac, Risperidone, and Adderall, then wait 3 months? Or, immediately switching to Saint John's Wort? If I do switch to St. John's Wort, do I have to let my psychiatrist know that I'm using a different medication? Can St. John's Wort be used without a prescription?

Worry about your health first. It is never wise to change your medication without talking to your Dr. first. St. Johns Wort is not guaranteed to work for everyone. Some believe it is just a placebo effect. In any case, your health and safety of others is more important than you flying. Take care of that first and see what happens.

You might not get your medical for awhile because when you report your depression on the 8500-8, the FAA might want you to do a lot more test. Plus you have to be off medication for 90 days and symptom free. So like MBA said worry about your health first.

You really need to worry about your health. With these multiple diagnoses, it will be a real uphill battle to get a medical certificate from the FAA. Flying is fun and it is exciting but it is not everything in life. Look at other avocations/professions that can excite you and in which you will be able to fully participate without a constant fight with government officials.

More specifically, I take 40 mg of Prozac every morning to control my depression. I take 3 mg of Risperidone to control my OCD usually right away before I go to bed. Finally, I take 10 mg of Adderall only every morning before school to help me focus (I doubt I need this medication now). Is it ok if I stop taking these medications immediately, especially Adderall or can I still take these medications but I have some tight restrictions on them?

I also heard that I could get Special Issuance if I have a disqualifying medical condition, can I take medications like these if I have Special Issuance?

DO NOT stop these medication without the guidance of your doctor.

You cannot currently get a Special Issuance while on any of these medications.

Back