Monday Morning Trivia

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Monday morning trivia
6:00 AM Mon, Jun 30, 2008
Terry Maxon -- Dallas Morning News

We have a story this morning about falling stock prices and market capitalizations of the U.S. airlines. So let's focus this week's question on the market values of airlines.

In fact, we'll make it a three-part question.

1. Of the 10 largest airlines, which airline has the smallest market capitalization?

2. Of the 10 largest airlines, which airline lost the most value in absolute dollars in the past 12 months?

3. Of the 10 largest airlines, which airline lost the most value on a percentage basis in the past 12 months?

For those unfamiliar with the term, a company's market capitalization is its share price multiplied by the number of shares outstanding.

Answers below.

(Dollar figures in millions)

1. AirTran Holdings, worth $195 million as of close of trading Friday.

Airline Market value
AirTran $195
US Airways $226
Alaska $603
UAL $699
JetBlue $816
Continental $1,040
AMR $1,335
Northwest $1,539
Delta $1,613
Southwest $9,754

2. AMR, parent of American Airlines, saw its market value decline by more than $5 billion over the past 12 months.
Airline Change
AMR -$5,073
UAL -$3,809
Delta -$3,061
Northwest -$2,803
US Airways -$2,490
Continental -$2,208
Southwest -$1,328
JetBlue -$1,180
AirTran -$810
Alaska -$488

3. The market value of US Airways declined nearly 92 percent over the past 12 months, the most of the 10.
US Airways -91.7%
UAL -84.5%
AirTran -80.6%
AMR -79.2%
Continental -68.0%
Delta -65.5%
Northwest -64.6%
JetBlue -59.1%
Alaska -44.7%
Southwest -12.0%

Market value was as of close of trading on Friday, June 27, 2008. Shares outstanding were as of the carriers' last 10-Q. Amounts do not include 11 million shares of Continental Airlines' shares being issued last week.

Hellllllll no. Now I have to go re-shower again. I though you were my pal, man! Ick ick ick! *GAG* No foil caps here bro!

Just a snippet from the John Ley email thingy.

By the way, all your pictures have swayed me. I'm putting in an AE for the ER next time round. (Actually, it's the increased intl override.) Just in time to, since we're changing hotels in KLAS. After the current rattrap, I couldn't stand to be in an actual nice one. Although, I might wait until after Oct and try and bid a LAS layover for the gettogether.

By the way, all your pictures have swayed me. I'm putting in an AE for the ER next time round. (Actually, it's the increased intl override.) Just in time to, since we're changing hotels in KLAS. After the current rattrap, I couldn't stand to be in an actual nice one. Although, I might wait until after Oct and try and bid a LAS layover for the gettogether.

And THAT ladies and germs, is why the ER went new-hire before!

You want guys to deal with JFK, show me the $!!

Bill is still deciding on his displacement preferences....... ER JFK, 777 JFK, or 777 ATL..... Hmm.....

Just in time to, since we're changing hotels in KLAS. After the current rattrap, I couldn't stand to be in an actual nice one. Although, I might wait until after Oct and try and bid a LAS layover for the gettogether.

We figured out the trick for the best deal on a buffet near the Isle. Walk over to the Wynn at 15:00. Pay $20 for the lunch buffet, camp out for thirty minutes, then at 15:30 you can get the dinner buffet which is normally $36. I didn't eat all day in preparation for it. Then, stop by a video blackjack machine, put in $5, and win your money back. Caveat, stop after you get to $25.

And THAT ladies and germs, is why the ER went new-hire before!

You want guys to deal with JFK, show me the $!!

Bill is still deciding on his displacement preferences....... ER JFK, 777 JFK, or 777 ATL..... Hmm.....

Big, big hell no to 777 JFK!

That category is seriously screwed-up right now. Unless they get some new flying there it's probably toast!

Little birdies are saying that it might close...

Kevin

Why is it bad for the 777 in JFK? Is it because they have the 767 operating a lot of the international routes and there isn't enough demand to facilitate a 777 on those routes? Just curious.

Why is it bad for the 777 in JFK? Is it because they have the 767 operating a lot of the international routes and there isn't enough demand to facilitate a 777 on those routes? Just curious.

Right now they only have one trip - Mumbai (Bombay.)

2 of these don't make a full line and 3 take you over the "cap" for hours to construct a line, so the only line that is legal for them is one with a "carry-over" trip, i.e. a trip which starts in one month and ends in the next.

Obviously that can't work for a whole category, so unless they get another trip or make some other kind of "fix" it's not sustainable.

Throw in the uncertaintities involved with the NWA merger and it's just not a good place to be right now. 2/3 of the JFK 777 pilots are on reserve...

Kevin

No, I'm ATL 777.

Kevin

He's one of "them" now! ;) :sarcasm:

The JFK 777 base doesn't make a lot of sense because they just don't have the flying. Might be a little better to ATL-XXX-JFK-XXX-ATL it like they do CVG.

Could you please explain to me what that means? :eek:

We build our monthly schedules based on the number of hours we fly. If the JFK Mumbai trip is worth 32 hours, then 2 of them equal 62 hours which is under our contractual limit of approximately 72 hours minimum. 3 of the trips is worth 96 hours, which is over the top limit of approximately 82 hours.

Since the JFK 777 category currently only has this one trip, there is no contractually "legal" way to build a line, unless one of the trips carrys-over to the next month - which means it is split in half and half of the hours go to one month and half to the next.

2 trips = 64 hours = not legal

3 trips = 96 hours = not legal

2 & 1/2 trips = 80 hours = legal

Make sense?

Kevin

We build our monthly schedules based on the number of hours we fly. If the JFK Mumbai trip is worth 32 hours, then 2 of them equal 62 hours which is under our contractual limit of approximately 72 hours minimum. 3 of the trips is worth 96 hours, which is over the top limit of approximately 82 hours.

Since the JFK 777 category currently only has this one trip, there is no contractually "legal" way to build a line, unless one of the trips carrys-over to the next month - which means it is split in half and half of the hours go to one month and half to the next.

2 trips = 64 hours = not legal

3 trips = 96 hours = not legal

2 & 1/2 trips = 80 hours = legal

Make sense?

Kevin

Yes it makes sense now. Thanks.

We figured out the trick for the best deal on a buffet near the Isle. Walk over to the Wynn at 15:00. Pay $20 for the lunch buffet, camp out for thirty minutes, then at 15:30 you can get the dinner buffet which is normally $36. I didn't eat all day in preparation for it. Then, stop by a video blackjack machine, put in $5, and win your money back. Caveat, stop after you get to $25.

If you sign up for the FREE players card at the new layover hotel, you get the buffet at half off, and you don't even have to leave the hotel. The spread may not be as good as the Wynn, but it's cheaper.

Back