Moller Skycar VTOL

JaceTheAce

Check this out on eBay. They are finally selling it. Mr. Moller, the guy that developed this aircraft is a good friend/mentor of my neighbor...developed and tested right here in Sacramento.

Moller Skycar

Doug, what do you think of these?

hmm....its not an airplane, and its not a rotorcraft, so what kind of licence would you need to fly this?

This thing has appeared in Popular Mechanics since the early 70's. Sure is taking long enough to get it flying and produced, can't be very fuel efficient. I guess this will be the next thing on TV after the commercials slamming SUVS have run their course.

[ QUOTE ]
hmm....its not an airplane, and its not a rotorcraft, so what kind of licence would you need to fly this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer to your question taken from the Moller website:

<font color="orange"> 4.21. Will I need a license to pilot an M400 Skycar?
Currently the Skycar is categorized as a "powered-lift normal" aircraft by the FAA. This means that, yes, you will require a "powered-lift normal" category pilot's license to operate a Skycar. However, it is our intention that the volantor will eventually evolve into a completely automated form of transportation making you a passenger - not a pilot/driver. At that point, no pilot's license would be required.

</font>

[ QUOTE ]
This thing has appeared in Popular Mechanics since the early 70's. Sure is taking long enough to get it flying and produced, can't be very fuel efficient. I guess this will be the next thing on TV after the commercials slamming SUVS have run their course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about it not being fuel efficient, if everything the website says is true, it gets somewhat good gas mileage:

Passengers: 4
Top speed @ 20,000 ft: 380 mph
Cruise speed @ 29,000 ft (80% Max Range): 300 mph
Cruise speed @ 29,000 ft (Max Range): 210 mph
Cruise speed @ Sea Level (Max Range): 140 mph
Maximum rate of climb: 5500 fpm
Maximum range: 900 miles
Net payload: 750 lbs
Fuel consumption: 28 mpg
Operational ceiling: 29,000 ft
Gross weight: 2400 lbs
Installed engine power: 645 hp