Mobile CFI question

jeremym0411

I want to start traveling and doing CFI work. What do I have to do to get started? Do I need a business license? Do I have to notify the fAA? Also, do I have to have any kind of special approval from the FAA? I'm just curious. Any help would be nice. Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Jeremy Moncrief CFI

Re: Question????

Dude I'm 6 shots of Vodka into the night but your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a spelling and grammatical pint of view. No offense.

What's a "Traveling CFI"? You mean a CFI that travels to the clients? Shouldn't need any special FAA approval for that and you may or may not need a business "license". Talk to a good accountant about whether or not to incorporate.

-mini

What's a "Traveling CFI"? You mean a CFI that travels to the clients? Shouldn't need any special FAA approval for that and you may or may not need a business "license". Talk to a good accountant about whether or not to incorporate.

-mini

Thanks for the responce. And yes i do mean travel to students.

Thanks for the responce. And yes i do mean travel to students.

A CFI is all you need to charge students for lessons. You don't need a special business license, travel permit or anything else.

Something you do have to consider is state income taxes for the state(s) you do work within. Also, by traveling around, unless you are doing it in your own aircraft, you'll need to hook up with an FBO. This means they'll charge you for the checkout which means you'll already be in the hole for money before your first student.

If you are simply flying cross-countries with a student, then have fun.

I want to start traveling and doing CFI work. What do I have to do to get started? Do I need a business license? Do I have to notify the fAA? Also, do I have to have any kind of special approval from the FAA? I'm just curious. Any help would be nice. Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Jeremy Moncrief CFI

Don't mean to sound like a jackass, but didn't you learn in CFI training what the FAA regs applicable to flight instruction are, or at least where to look them up?

Don't mean to sound like a jackass, but didn't you learn in CFI training what the FAA regs applicable to flight instruction are, or at least where to look them up?

Yes i did! But, i was asking you guys to get real world knowledge. Regs are not cut and dry. They can be looked at many different ways. Just because im a CFI does not mean i know everything!

Yes i did! But, i was asking you guys to get real world knowledge. Regs are not cut and dry. They can be looked at many different ways. Just because im a CFI does not mean i know everything!

Granted, but if you find anything remotely resembling needing FAA approval/notification to instruct in the manner you describe, please humor me :bandit:

I suppose the easiest answer is that, no you don't need any sort of "special" permission.

You're obviously taking on the role of a freelance instructor, and with that means filing your quarterly taxes as an I-9 self employed person, or paying yourself through your business - which has it's own set of rules.

Thanks,
Jeremy Moncrief CFI

Put one foot in front of the other....And soon you'll be walking out the door....:rotfl:

I frankly don't understand what business model you have in mind. How do you intend to offer your services in a temporary/traveling fashion? Are you looking to offer traveling IR or endorsement training? Do you have an airplane to use in your plan?

Back