Mlilitary?

NYC FLYER

Hey everyone, I'm a PPL right now currently working on my IRA/COM/CFI/CFII ratings and was wondering with the state that the airlines are in, and our economy, would it make sense to keep flying right now or would it be beneficial to go into the military for a few years and pick this career choice up at a later date?

Not a decision to be taken lightly.

The military is not just some place to go while you're waiting for things to get better at the airlines.

There are a number of good threads here on the topic all ready that cover considerations before making the decision to join the military.

How old are you, how are you paying for your ratings, etc... It depends on a lot things and what do you want to do. A lot of military bases have flying clubs where you can get your ratings cheaper, but then again why not just join the airforce and become a pilot. If you don't have a degree the airforce is the place to go. Check out their website, they have a lot of programs set up for enlisted to get their degrees. If you haven't been told www.baseops.net is a great site for getting info on becoming a pilot in the military. I was in the Army for four years then joined the national guard when I got out. Military life is financially better then civilian life. Now I'm trying to get my degree and get into AFROTC so I can get a pilot slot. It all depends on what you want to do, Best of luck.

Not a decision to be taken lightly.

The military is not just some place to go while you're waiting for things to get better at the airlines.

There are a number of good threads here on the topic all ready that cover considerations before making the decision to join the military.

Agreed.

It's much more than just a little 'filler'. However, it can be a great option if you decide the military is for you.

I third Hacker's comments.

The military is the best and worst decision I've made.
Best in that I've opened so many doors, have lifelong friends, and stories that only those who have served can enjoy.

Bad in that my flying career hasn't progressed that I'd hoped it would at this point in my life. I would be an RJ Captain today had I not joined. However the Best far outweighs the Worst and I'm glad I did it.

Of course I joined the manliest one out there, not the pansy Air Force like hacker...:laff: :D

The last thing the military needs is someone who can't put their heart into it. Do it only if you're willing to commit and follow through with it.

Don't knock the coasties, they do some cool missions. The Merchant Marines have a really cool name. People mistake them for Marines.

:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

Back