missed oral exam questions

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
on my IRA oral, I was asked what I would do if I was cleared (only) to a fix and lots comm. I thought I knew where he was going with this and had some answers re: ETE, holds, etc... the fact is he explained that really that type of situation is a trap to accept a clearence short of an airport... would like to learn more about that. Another CFII said that folks get clearances short of the destination airports all of the time and its common, so I dont know.... ????

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect you would then resort to flying the rest of the route as filed unless you can land VFR first.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
on my IRA oral, I was asked what I would do if I was cleared (only) to a fix and lots comm.

[/ QUOTE ]

you would resort to the lost comm procedures so you go down, Assigned route, Vectors, Expected, then Filed. You are assigned to the fix so once you get there, if you arent told to expect anything then you would fly your filed route. if you are at a fix just short of your destination, it would likely be an initial approach fix. if not fly to an initial approach fix and hold there until your ETA and then shoot the approach.

Part 91 operations do not have takeoff mins. The takeoff mins only apply to 121,125, 129, and 135. 91.175(f)

You are correct. I was just testing you!
grin.gif
(That's what I get for shooting from the hip.)

FAR 91.175 is the reg that I was thinking of, but it doesn't apply to FAR 91 operations. My mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cessna's are not placarded against doing slips with flaps. It says to avoid them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that all Cessnas have the placard, but I have flown some that do.

In general, it's a good thing to keep in mind. From what I've been told, the extended flaps supposedly can block the flow of air over the rudder in a slip and make it hard to recover.

I'd go by the POH for your specific airplane.

contact us!

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be talking about the older Cessna's that had the 40 degree flap setting (I've heard them referred to as the "barn door setting"). It could get ugly slipping a Cessna with the 40 degree setting, especially if you got slow. (a spin springs to mind at a low altitude, very ugly). The "newer" '72's and '52's only have the 30 degree max flap settings. Just a thought.

On my IFR checkride:

Examiner: "I preformed a VOT check for this airplane, here it is."

Examiner points to a bunch of writing ON THE WINDSHIELD of the airplane, written with a wax marker I assume.

Examiner: "Is this Airplane IFR legal and does this constitute an acceptable VOR check by FAA standards?"

Me: "Well.....Uhhhh......the bearing error is acceptable and you have the date, location, and your name but I think it has to be on paper, so yes and no."

Examiner, Later during debrief: "That VOT check was acceptable. Nowhere in the FARs does it say that the VOR check must be done on paper."

On the Private Checkride

Examiner: "What is a Calender Month?"

Me: 30 days?

Examiner: "When the term calender month is used, it refers to the period ending on the last day of the month."

private ride:

Can you buy 100LL in Mexico?

If I blow into the pitot tube, will air come out somewhere? If so, where?

If you put one vented cap on one fuel tank and a nonvented tank on the other, which tank would you want to put the vented cap on?

He gave me LOTS of questions that aren't in the little blue book and it was rather stressful. I got a 97 on my written, studied and flew my ass off for my ride and instantly felt like I didn't know sh*t, and that was exactly his goal. He's a senior captain with over 30,000 hours, the chasm between master and novice couldn't have been any greater. Actually kind of a pleasure to have an opportunity to fly with him...

I've slipped Cessnas with flaps multiple times (and still do)... The only reason they have the placard is because of the possibility of buffet at certain weights and CG combos.

As for missed exam questions: the only ones I really had trouble on were the medical questions... I breezed over them in my studying (they can't be that hard, right?); when the test came my examiner was all about hypoxia and CO poisioning:

Symptoms of CO?
Symptoms of Hypoxia?

And what do you do for each?

Here is a good one that the examiner in this area is a real stickler about:

You are flying along in IMC and established on the ILS 6 inbound for landing at Gunnison, CO, GUC. The missed approach point is 2.4NM from the runway end. You pop out of the clouds at the missed and you have the runway in sight, great. You continue towards the runway and a 737 pulls out in front of you. What should you do?

Another one that he is really into:

You are approaching Gunnison. You are in VMC and airport is report a ceiling of 200ft and 5SM visibility. However the cloud that is over the airport is not over the approach end of the runway. You are flying inbound on the ILS 6, at 500ft and you can see that the ceiling over the runway is 200ft, but you can?t quite see under the clouds to the runway. Can you continue?

For those of you without CO charts: The DH for the ILS is 840'AGL and 2.4NM from the threshold. There is a 550'AGL obstruction about a mile to the right of the threshold and a 1000'AGL tower about a half-mile to the right of the departure end of the runway. The missed approach is a right 150 degree turn back to a VOR to hold. If you were to go down to the "standard" DH of 200'AGL and go missed, you'd fly right into that obstruction or tower without seeing it.

1. The FARs say that the lowest plane has right-of-way when landing. But, common sense tells me to go missed, I don't want to be 1/4 mile behind a 737. Since I am flying visual at that point, I'll be able to maintain visual separation from the tower and obstruction.

2. The FARs state that you must have the runway environment in sight at all times when you descend below MDA or DH. If the approach lights are on, you should be able to see those, which will allow you to descend on the glideslope down to 100'. If you can see any of the runway/threshold/landing zone lights through the ceiling, you can continue descending on glideslope. If you have nothing in sight, then you have to go missed

Well here the best answer to the first question is to execute the departure procedure. Basically, the examiner feels that very few people read the published departure procedure for airports they are flying to. In the case of GUC, if you execute the missed after you have passed the DH/MDA then you are way to close the mountain that is to the right of the approach. Essentially, understand all the elements required for the instument procedure. Another sticky element to GUC is that if you adhere to the depature procedure, you would need to climb at a rate of 550'/NM, some that only really powerful planes can do at that altitude. The answer that the examiner here really wants to get from you is land on the taxiway! There are no rules saying you can't and if things are that hairy out there and you would fly back into IMC with a strict climb requirement it would be to risky.

The answer to the second question is that under 91.157 ( I think, I don't have my FAR/AIM with me) it states what you need to continue past the DH/MDA the first this is flight visibility. The examiner was stressing that you need to have the flight visibility not the RVR. If the ATIS is reporting a visibility you will still need to see part of the runway environment. It seems like an easy question but he was just stressing that most people believe that RVR and Report Visibility are the same as flight visiblity.

Here's a couple off the top of my head, will try to post more later when i get some more time.

1. What do those numbers on top of the jepps plate mean? (ex. 12-1)

2. How many aircraft can use a DME at once?

1)
The three number identifier:
1st number = # identifying the airport from others in the same city (if the city only has one airport the number is always one)
2nd number = type of approach starting with the lowest minimums. 1 is an ILS 2 is a PAR and 3 is a VOR, 6 is NDB; it goes up to 9
3rd number = how many approaches of that type are available at that airport

2)
Unlimited

Here are a few more:

1) How many categories of NOTAMS are there and what are they? How many classes of NOTAMS are there and what are they?

2) What is the difference between an ASOS and an AWOS?

3) How often are published NOTAMS revised?

4) If you somehow get yourself into IMC with no TC, no AI, and no HI, how would you keep the wings level? What heading would you fly and why?

5) What are the different kinds of approach lighting systems? How far apart are the light rows? What is a decision bar?

A few more questions regarding AWOS and ASOS:

What are the four kinds of AWOS and what do they do?

What are the four kinds of ASOS and what do they do?

SkyGuy,
# 1) your right

# 2) your wrong, DME can only handle up to 90 aircraft at once

answers
#1- There are Notams L, Notams D, and FDC notams. Explain to me about what you mean by classes and catagories

#2- Cant really think of all the differences off the top of my head. One difference that i can think of is that AWOS cant issue a special report. Differences would also depend on what type of AWOS you are talking about ( AWOS-1, AWOS-2, or AWOS-3)

#3- every 28 days

#4- Losing your tc, ai, and dg...man what kind of planes are you flying. You would have to use your mag compass to fly the plane, and i would turn to VFR conditions (most likely 180 degrees behind me)

#5- i dont want to kill my brain thinking about that one.

Here ponder this one for a while-

1- When filing GPS direct from JFK to LAX, how many waypoints do you need to file?

[ QUOTE ]
# 2) your wrong, DME can only handle up to 90 aircraft at once

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Can you reference that? Sounds like an old wives tale to me...

Back