missed/go-around on a visual approach

planejay

hey all, not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not but here it goes. Lets assume that you are cleared for a visual approach into a busy class b airport and back the approach up with an ils. In the event that you have to go missed. The options that we have discussed, we being another FO, a CA, and myself, are fly the published missed or join a traffic pattern. My .02 after a few responses. I know this is a bit choppy so let me know if I can clear it up at all. Thanks in advance.

I brief, miss with the tower or the published missed in NAV mode. I ask the PNF to set in traffic pattern in the box for the miss.

I brief, miss with the tower or the published missed in NAV mode. I ask the PNF to set in traffic pattern in the box for the miss.

essentially the same thing that I do...missed fly tower assigned or, if uncontrolled, join L/R traffic pattern and try again and set pattern.

That is how this whole disagreement came about was from a briefing like that.

I brief go around with the tower and the pattern altitude, backed up by the ILS, and if we don't receive tower instructions on the actual go around, to tell tower that we are doing the published missed - which will probably prompt them to tell us to do something different.

Everytime I've had to go around on a visual - usually told to go around by tower or just gummed up the approach (once) - the tower provided lateral guidance (fly heading xxx, join left traffic, etc or right 360 approved) but left the altitude totally up to us.

What exactly is the missed approach on the visual you are shooting? I have yet to see that chart.;)

As for doing the Missed for the ILS, well when were you assigned the ILS?

Isn't there a real answer on this? Which is runway heading to 1500' unless told otherwise? The AIM just says ATC will issue "the appropriate clearance" so maybe I'm making up the 1500' part.

But for anyone saying they'd fly a missed or whatever, I'll ask the same question I was asked in my expressjet interview when I said I would fly the published missed on a go-around from a visual: which published missed are you planning on flying?

Isn't there a real answer on this? Which is runway heading to 1500' unless told otherwise?
I would say this would not be a good idea if you are doing this in Aspen, Teterboro, or some other areas, whether it be for traffic or cumulogranite.

I'll ask the same question I was asked in my expressjet interview when I said I would fly the published missed on a go-around from a visual: which published missed are you planning on flying?
Exactly. Just because you have the ILS "backing up" your visual, does not give you permission to fly the missed for that approach. Stay in the pattern, avoid obstacles and find out what ATC wants you to do. The key is you are visual, so stay visual, if at all possible.

I've had it happen. Got cleared for a visual with weather approaching. Turns out the weather was faster than approach realized. Told him I'd need an approach and got vectors around for it.

If I were still able to stay VFR, I'd probably tell tower and/or join the pattern. If not, get a vector or fly the published missed approach appropriate to the runway. Even if it isn't an ILS, a miss gets you clear of the rocks.

-mini

Exactly. Just because you have the ILS "backing up" your visual, does not give you permission to fly the missed for that approach. Stay in the pattern, avoid obstacles and find out what ATC wants you to do. The key is you are visual, so stay visual, if at all possible.

Yep. When you accept the visual approach you give up your "right" to the missed approach procedure.

AIM 5-4-22 Visual Approach

e. A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled airports, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If a landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances.

e. A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled airports, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If a landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances.

Exactly what I was after just looking in all the wrong places...thanks!!!

Alright, that answers that. Now let's throw a wrench into this one. Say you execute a go around at a controlled field and then lose comms :panic:... What would you guys do then?

Assuming you did a go around because of weather approaching, etc. and you lose comms then I would use the published missed for one of the approaches (hopefully an ILS) and then go from there. Just my $.02. How about you guys?

Alright, that answers that. Now let's throw a wrench into this one. Say you execute a go around at a controlled field and then lose comms :panic:... What would you guys do then?

Squawk 7600
Fly the normal pattern
watch tower for light signals
land under PIC emergency authority unless tower has signaled otherwise

Visual approaches are a simple brief:

This will be a visual backed up by the _________ approach to rwy _______

Frequency for the ___________ approach is ___________

Inbound Course is _________

Missed Approach will be tower instructions
or if uncontrolled
Missed Approach will be a left/right traffic pattern

Special Departure Procedures (i.e. airport specific ODP's, noise abatement, company specific single engine procedures, etc)

Weather/Braking action/Terrain considerations as applicable

Left/Right Turnoff

Taxiway Hotspots

Gate/Parking spot/ramp freqs etc

Applicable NOTAMS

Questions

Back