Misdemeanor with no charges and PPL

is your AME a HIMS ame? They’d probably at least know who to talk to. When i got my first medical I had to clear a childhood Asthma diagnosis ( had grown out of it many years before) At the end i was told not to report on future medicals. While not the same, I’d imagine if you provide them with supporting evidence that shows no charge/alcohol they’d probably tell you to stop reporting as well.
Can you explain this? Generally, being cured completely doesn't negate the need to report something in response to the "Have you ever in your life...?" questions. That's what "previously reported no change" is for.

I know of someone who was apparently told by an AME not to report something he reported previously. OK City caught it and revoked his medica for lying on the app. The FAA followed up and revoked his pilot certificate.

If you spend a night in jail, you HAVE been arrested. However "they" explain it is irrelevant.

Well, FBI and Virginia databases and the hard copies of my case suggest otherwise.

Apparently this was an oddity in Virginia law. A retired judge explained that I would have been arrested at my court appearance had the tests suggested intoxication.

I'm not an attorney but I think there are a number of situations where you can be detained without being arrested. I was detained at 0100 and sat in a holding area watching TV until 0600. Maybe such detainment was covered by implied consent or this is how VA handled things to avoid the stigma of an unjustified arrests. I don't know.

To play it safe, I'm not going to change how I report it. After 30 years of smooth sailing, I don't want to start a fight with the FAA.

Last edited:
Can you explain this? Generally, being cured completely doesn't negate the need to report something in response to the "Have you ever in your life...?" questions. That's what "previously reported no change" is for.

I know of someone who was apparently told by an AME not to report something he reported previously. OK City caught it and revoked his medica for lying on the app. The FAA followed up and revoked his pilot certificate.

Regarding asthma, had to do a whole bunch of tests for Ok city, the final determination contained the instructions. The final determination letter included the instructions for selecting “no” and not “previously reported no change.” Still have the letter burried in the safe somewhere.

If you spend a night in jail, you HAVE been arrested. However "they" explain it is irrelevant.

It's always important to remember that most cops are just typical first grade teachers, but toting guns. That said, don't forget about the guns.
Hey there, I'm no attorney, but have been a LEO... It's a good attorney question, yet there is a vast difference between arrested and detention for investigative purposes. You can even be handcuffed, searched, etc. and not be under arrest, though I agree it feels, looks and smells like an arrest.

Just my two cents.

LC

Hey there, I'm no attorney, but have been a LEO... It's a good attorney question, yet there is a vast difference between arrested and detention for investigative purposes. You can even be handcuffed, searched, etc. and not be under arrest, though I agree it feels, looks and smells like an arrest.

Just my two cents.

LC

Implied consent laws can play a role in how cases are handled. I can't recall the words used when I was detained and maybe I just passively cooperated. Maybe if I had asked if I were free to go or if I was under arrest I would have received a better explanation from the officer. As I knew I was not intoxicated I was eager to take a blood test. It is possible that my eagerness and agreement to take a blood test gave the LEO a non-arrest option.

That said, for FAA purposes I'm not going to change the manner in which I report the event.

Back