Min requirements for CFI? (experienced pilot)

Prodrive555

I'm currently flying part 135 in the midwest, and have lots of free time. A few people keep telling me I should do some flight instructing on the side but I don't have an FAA instructor certificate. I have around 3500tt, a good chunk of multi, turbine, IFR, etc. and an FAA ATP.

I used to be a flight instructor in Canada with about 1300hrs past instructional experience there.

What would I require as the minimum from the FAA, to legally be able to instruct single-engine VFR aeroplanes?

I see from some flight school websites that the requirements for a CFI are:

FAA requirements for a Flight Instructor Certificate:

• Be at least 18 years of age
  • Hold a Commercial Pilot Certificate or ATP Certificate
  • Must hold a valid FAA 3rd Class Medical Certificate
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language
  • Pass the FAA Knowledge Test
  • Pass the FAA Practical Flight Test and Oral Examination
Since I already satisfy the first 4 points, does this mean I would just have to pass the FAA knowledge, practical and oral test?

Or would I be required to complete a certain amount of actual training on the ground or in the air?

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks for your reply.

Do you require a specific amount of flight training, or completion of a ground training course in order to conduct any of the exams? Do you require a recommendation or such from another CFI or flight school?

In my case, because I am already experienced as a flight instructor in past years (just not in the US), could I just do the exams and get the CFI rating?

Thanks for your reply.

Do you require a specific amount of flight training, or completion of a ground training course in order to conduct any of the exams? Do you require a recommendation or such from another CFI or flight school?

In my case, because I am already experienced as a flight instructor in past years (just not in the US), could I just do the exams and get the CFI rating?

You need a signoff from a CFI for the checkride only. In theory, he could quiz you on the ground stuff and then go for a mock checkride, and then sign you off for the checkride. This might take just a few hours. Possibly, but unlikely.

Realistically, you probably need a bit of air work to refresh yourself on Commercial and Private maneuvers. And the amount of knowledge on the ground stuff is formidable. I don't know how much overlap there is with Canada requirements. But you could do almost all that on your own.

Back