Military Service & Airlines

PGT

Well I can't see the airline industry getting better when I graduate in May, so I was thinking of enlisting if I don't get picked up to my desired ATC facility.

I will have a 4yr degree but plan on enlisting because it's only a 4 year commitment. I was planning on going Air Force PJ or similar SF.

Would this help or hurt my chances in the airline industry? It would make a great item on a resume but I'd be potentially losing on 4 years of seniority and flight experience. I just dont want to be another 1000TPIC RJ CA in 10 years so I was thinking this might be something a major carrier (or good 91/135 operator) will like.

Wait.

You'll have a 4 year degree, and you are looking to enlist?

Allow me to save you a great deal of headache, and financial depression -

Seek a commission instead.

Good buddy of mine, who is still in the Air Force, enlisted - with two degrees. One in computer technology, the other in mathematics. Really smart guy that got roped into enlisting. He dialed the wrong recruiter (an enlisted one) and didn't know any better. Long story short, he's now a TSgt (E6) and most likely could have been a Captain (O3) by now. You run the math.

He accepts what happened, but realizes he would be enjoying a much better quality of life and career attainment if he had dialed the correct recruiter.

Well I can't see the airline industry getting better when I graduate in May, so I was thinking of enlisting if I don't get picked up to my desired ATC facility.

I will have a 4yr degree but plan on enlisting because it's only a 4 year commitment. I was planning on going Air Force PJ or similar SF.

Would this help or hurt my chances in the airline industry? It would make a great item on a resume but I'd be potentially losing on 4 years of seniority and flight experience. I just dont want to be another 1000TPIC RJ CA in 10 years so I was thinking this might be something a major carrier (or good 91/135 operator) will like.

I'm quite sure that there are officer positions with a 4 year commitment.

I've also been wondering how the airline industry is affect military recruitment right now. I imagine that competitiveness for pilot slots have gone up considerably.

It would be interesting to see how a MCPL and/or ATP requirement would affect this as well.

I can't say that I'm not considering it either.

you will regret enlisting if you have the degree...go the officer route instead.

If you have a degree, by all means become commissioned. They have officer positions for almost every field. You don't necessarily have to be a pilot to be a officer.

In my opinion, yes I am Airman, but on a resume "1LT or Capt." looks alot better than "SSgt. or TSgt".

I was planning on going Air Force PJ or similar SF.

You do realize that "Superman school" is THE TOUGHEST COURSE IN THE MILLITARY, don't you? BUDS is a close second, but it's gennerally agreed that PJs are the thoughest people in the millitary. You need to know what you're getting into. How many marathons have you run? And how well did you do on your schools swim team? If you aren't a top tier athlete going in, you have no hope of making it.

Unless you have a specific MOS that is enlisted only, you would be a fool not to pursue a comsision.

Going into the military as a "fall back position" is a recipe for serious regret and misery.

Throw me in the category of people who think you should get a commission. Being enlisted can suck. Trust me I know. I loved it, but would rather have been on O. One more thing. Only join if it is something you really want to do. You will need more than the stability of it to get you through.

If you want to serve, I certainly think you should. If it is something you really want to do, I imagine it will be one of the most rewarding things you can ever do...

That said, and all things being equal (which they won't because you will have considerable less experience and time in airplanes in the four years you serve, compared to any full time pilot) if I am on a hiring board, I would certainly be very gracious to you for taking part in something larger than yourself, but i'm most likely going to hire the guy who has been professionly flying for the past 48 months....

Thats me just me though...You very well may have an ex military gentleman (or gentlelady) in charge of hiring that would give the military experience higher consideration...

I've never been in the military, but from what I gather from speaking with friends, and reading a lot on here, only do it if your 110% committed, and want to be there...If your just doing it to fill four years during a crap economy and hiring cycle, it may not be the best option for you.

goodluck, and 1'st beers on me if you do end up serving...Hell, if you're in my area either way for beer is on me!

PGT,

I enlisted in the Army with a Bachelors Degree. I don't regret it but I also had a great MOS (91B Combat Medic)

If you are going to try PJ's, SFAS, or BUDS make sure that you are prepared to spend 4 or 6 years in the regular Army, Air Force, or Navy. The physical demands of training aside, many people get hurt and cannot continue the training. Big difference between the Big Army and SOCOM.

Commit 1000% and never quit or stop and you will make it.

Good luck and thank you in advance if you decide to serve our country.

also be prepared for possibly not making it. I had a few friends who were in my basic training in the army (I'm 11B- Infantry) who had 5 year contracts to go SF. Well, they failed selection, went needs of the army and had their bonuses taken away since their bonuses were specifically for SF... AND Go officer. I have a BA and almost done with my Masters and from being told, I can't really get promoted since the way my unit figures- "if you're enlisted with a degree and won't go officer then you shouldn't be promoted at all.".. I was told it's a sign of my character or some crap. Just be prepared for stupid stuff enlisting.

I've been an O and an E. Both have cool jobs, but I would do it only I had a strong conviction to serve (which I did). When I was 18, I just wanted to serve. Sure there are benefits to joining the military but if you are only thinking about what is best for you, my advice is don't do it at all. Stay civilian.

Agree with granlisto. If you want to serve, serve. But its not something you do to further your resume. It's both ineffective and inappropriate.

I've always wanted to serve, in fact, I was going to go to ERAU after HS because I heard they get the most flight slots.

Don't get my wrong, I would LOVE to CFI but living with the parents and making $15,000 a year, if that, during my 20's does not sound fun. I figure I can do the enlisted thing, come out, instruct for a bit and get on a with a regional (hopefully it picks up).

As far as officer vs. enlisted, well I looked at some of the options in the AF and it just doesn't seem like officer would be the right route for me anyway. Still have to check out other branches. Money isn't an issue, any extra money I would make and probably half the enlistment bonus would go to my sister's college fund.

If you want to fly, why not try for pilot in the military. Want experience for the airlines? There it is and military flying is second to none in my highly biased opinion :D

Most Military Special Operations Specialties have a five or six year commitment. The biggest problem with the X-ray program (Army's version of zero to hero) is the recruiters don't prepare the kids going into it and they get a very rude awakening at pre-selection/selection.

The question that was raised "have you done any marathons" try a marathon with a 75lb ruck and combat gear. I'm a survivor of SFAS & the Q-course, (18D) and Ranger School as a reservist(12th/19th). It is not something to be taken lightly, all are tough courses and you're evaluated every inch of the way. Physically, and mentally stretched to see how far you can go. After all that, knowing and working with PJ's there's no way in hell I'd want to go through that course.

Officer or enlisted, If you're not prepared to give 150% all the time stay with the leg military

Back