Military Pilot? What would you do?

JGriffis

Ok guys and gals, if your ultimate goal was to become a pilot in the military (Air Force, Navy, Marines, ANG, Reserves), and you already had a college degree with PPL...too late for ROTC or Academy, what would you do and how would you go about achieving your goal? Thanks for replys!

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys and gals, if your ultimate goal was to become a pilot in the military (Air Force, Navy, Marines, ANG, Reserves), and you already had a college degree with PPL...too late for ROTC or Academy, what would you do and how would you go about achieving your goal? Thanks for replys!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would try applying to OTS (Officer Training School) for a pilot position, which is what MikeD did.

[ QUOTE ]
What would your backup plan be if you aren't accepted to USAF OTS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just do civilian flying.

If I were you, however, I would take ROTC in college so at least you get that chance to serve in the military and possibly get a shot at a pilot slot.

I personally do not plan to go through USAF OTC, as I want to serve in the military immediately after college graduation.

What do you want to do in the military? I don't see going back to college and working on another degree just so I can be in ROTC?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you want to do in the military? I don't see going back to college and working on another degree just so I can be in ROTC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, I assumed that you are a high school or college student because I saw "Student" under "Occupation". In your case, look more into OTS... you will never know unless you try.

I am still deciding whether I want to go into the Army or Air Force. If I go into the Army, I am looking at: Armor, Aviation, or Infantry branches. If I go for the Air Force, I am looking into becoming a navigator or whatever my vision permits and allows me to work with planes (preferably in the sky).

Well good luck with whatever you do. Yeah I haven't changed my profile in a while. I'm attending grad school right now, but i'm looking into all of the officer programs and to be honest, the marines really appeal to me. They offer aviations contracts like no one else can guarantee. (At least that's what it seems like.)

Yeah I already have all that...I talked with an officer selection officer the other day. He said that 33% of marine officers are pilots, whereas like 5% of air force officers are pilots. Not that it matters but it just seems like that if you want to fly the marines sounds more promising. I really just want to serve my country, whatever that calls for me to do.

The Marine Corp aviation guarantee has a few catches. First, they don't specify if it for fixed-wing or helo. If you don't mind flying helicopters it shouldn't really matter, but that is what many applicants receive. Secondly, you are guaranteed a flight slot in the future, not necessarily right away. You might have to serve as an infantry officer for a year or two before flight training. Remember you will be a Marine first and pilot second. If they need infantry officers, they can pull you from flight status. Join the Marines if you want to be a Marine, not just a pilot IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone pilots or have info on Coast Guard, Reserves, or ANG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Run through the many threads on this subject in the military section here. If you have additional questions, ask away!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want active duty as a first choice then try OTS like stated above. It's a longshot but as long as you can get a couple of influential people ( like high ranking officers for ex.) to write you recommendation letters and you score pretty high on the aptitude test then atleast there might be a chance. Other than that I would try the ANG. ANG would have a specific aircraft they fly. check out the rest of the threads here and youve got MikeD to help you out as well. You can also take a look HERE for more info on the guard.

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone currently trying to get into officer programs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to get in through the reserves right now. I'm a loadmaster in the unit, so that will help. I took the AFOQT (pilot-95, nav-93, quanitative-90, academic-85, verbal-72) and have the BAT scheduled for monday and the physical is scheduled for next month.

Have you tried the Army, or the Army National Guard, There is nothing wrong with starting out in helo's. The Army and the Guard also have fixed wing aircraft, ie King Airs , Citaion Jets, Gulf Stream IV. I know that my unit has slots for 30 pilots for 10 A/C , At the current we can man 5 A/C.

Back