Military airfields and approaches added to NACO charts, A/FD

aloft

[ QUOTE ]
FAA ADDS MILITARY AIRFIELDS, APPROACHES TO CIVILIAN GUIDES
You may have noticed that approach chart books and Airport/Facility Directories have gotten thicker. Think safety. The FAA added more than 100 military airfields along with about 750 approaches to the publications. "In the past, pilots who wanted the extra safety benefit of having approaches for military bases in case of emergency had to buy and carry a separate publication," said Heidi Williams, AOPA manager of air traffic policy. Military bases are often underutilized and permitting civilian aircraft to use them for instrument training could ease the burden at overtaxed civilian facilities, Williams added. But there are some cautions for nonemergency operations--military airfields require a written request for permission to land, although instrument approaches may be authorized as long as the aircraft doesn't touch the ground. Pilots should also carefully read the remarks sections in the A/FDs so as not to confuse civilian facilities with new listings for military airfields. "AOPA's Airport Directory Online" will provide the new approach charts early next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was glad to see this and think it is an excellent idea. For those who are CFIs in areas with military fields nearby, you've now got more practice approaches you can do. Just remember ... low approach only without prior permission from the facility. ATC can approve low approaches on request. This is also an excellent opportunity (ATC workload permitting) to expose your students to PAR approaches! If I was instructing around here, I'd be headed for a couple ILS or PAR approaches at Seymour Johnson AFB down the road. (huh huh ... seymour johnson ... huh huh)

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
If I was instructing around here, I'd be headed for a couple ILS or PAR approaches at Seymour Johnson AFB down the road. (huh huh ... seymour johnson ... huh huh)

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like that High-ILS approach into Seymour....starts WAAAAYYYYYY up high!!!

Back