Mil-h-5606

nonstop

Can anyone tell me what the 5606 stands for in this hydraulic fluid used on the 172RG?

Thanks in advance

It's just the specification number. MIL is military specification, H is for Hydraulic, 5606 is the number of that particular standard of hydraulic fluid. Also, as a side note, though 5606 may look like tasty cherry syrup, it is gross.

4 years of college in flight/maintenance. 2 different aircraft maintenance jobs. Oh, and an unfortunate incident with a brake training mockup...

4 years of college in flight/maintenance. 2 different aircraft maintenance jobs. Oh, and an unfortunate incident with a brake training mockup...
Sounds like me and Jet-A.
Tasty stuff. Eucalyptus oil will take it out of clothes, just in case anyone's wondering. I managed to douse myself trying to fuel the elbow joint on the Jet Ranger a few weeks ago.

Sounds like me and Jet-A.
Tasty stuff. Eucalyptus oil will take it out of clothes, just in case anyone's wondering. I managed to douse myself trying to fuel the elbow joint on the Jet Ranger a few weeks ago.

Those are always fun... You expect it to splash back at you about half a second after you stop the fuel flow...

Had any Eurocopter aircraft? Those are blast. :sarcasm:

5606 is the alternative prop fluid which we use in our props. It's a lot stickier than 83282

Fun fact:

What's the difference between MIL-H-5606 and MIL-H-83282?

5606 is petroleum based. 83282 is all synthetic.

83828 has a much higher flash point as a result, and is considered 'Fire Resistant'.

That's why 5606 is a backup for 83282... just lacking a few potential features you might want, especially in proximity to hot hydraulic pumps or turbine engines.

Note: Either is highly toxic. It's been a while since I read an MSDS on one, but I believe both are carcinogenic.

Also- ever need some of the stuff and not know how to go about it? The other crewchiefs in my unit always used to say "Hey Sarge, we don't have any of THIS stuff" because they'd look for the part number (NSN) on the can. In reality, part numbers change by container size. What you want is the MILSPEC (MILitary SPECification) to determine whether or not you have the right fluid.

On some commercially labeled products, you might see something like "Complies with MIL-H-5606" on the can. That's how you know that the product you have meet certain production and composition requirements.

DISCLAIMER: Always consult an A&P and appropriate maintenance procedures before selecting fluids for aircraft use.

Back