MikeD's new ride is getting a make over.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
MikeD\'s new ride is getting a make over.

I guess with United starting to spray new paint on everything in sight the USAF got a little envious. HERE.

Ethan

Re: MikeD\'s new ride is getting a make over.

You want to know what the real reason is behind this, IMO? They're trying to find a mission for the 117. 117s have been having a little trouble garnering funding the past few years. They're single-mission aircraft, which in these days of limited $$$ and force cutbacks, don't survive long. Another example of this concept is the research going into F-15C Eagles, an air-to-air only bird (single-mission), dropping GPS guided munitions. By this same token, that's why the F-22A became the F/A-22A, since as an air-dominance fighter only, it wasn't going to receive all the funding it needed.

Additionally, the 117 is first-generation stealth technology compared to today's F/A-22, the outward differences being quite noticeable in the design/shape of the two aircraft. With only a little over 40 of them operational, it'll be interesting to see how much longer the 117 will be around.

Geez, you should talk to Copaman about being a program closer!

Is it true that the original planned paint color of the F-117 while it was in development was a shade of gray that actually produced a smaller radar signature, but the AF went with black , which produced a larger radar signature because it looked better? I read that somewhere, but I can't remember where. I've always wondered if that was true or not.

I had read a book about the skunk works, and their story is that when designing the "hopeless diamond" that later became the 117, they used a shade of light blue that really let it fade into the night. Better than black, but because Air Force pilots don't fly light blue airplanes they made it black. Funny story, just enough to seem plausable.

You really like flying airplanes that people want to get rid of eh Mike?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You really like flying airplanes that people want to get rid of eh Mike?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems the story of my life. Maybe someone's telling me I'm obsolete. Get this, was supposed to go to F-4s, but the available slot during my assignment cycle was cancelled so my application to the 117 was accepted and there I go. If they get rid of the 117 early, maybe I'll end up in the 4 after all.

Air superiority fighters (F-22s) getting bombs racks, and attack aircraft (F-117) getting painted "air superiority grey"?

What's this Air Force coming to?
grin.gif

Actually heard that the AF is interested again in an FB-22, which is a diamond shaped variant of the F-22 (kind of like th F-16XL) to be used as a long-range interdiction aircraft a la the F-111...

[ QUOTE ]
Air superiority fighters (F-22s) getting bombs racks, and attack aircraft (F-117) getting painted "air superiority grey"?

What's this Air Force coming to?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't kidding. They're trying to make everything grey. Next they'll try the B-2!

[ QUOTE ]

Actually heard that the AF is interested again in an FB-22, which is a diamond shaped variant of the F-22 (kind of like th F-16XL) to be used as a long-range interdiction aircraft a la the F-111...

[/ QUOTE ]

Correcto! Perfecto! Much to the consternation of the C-model Eagle community, the AF is looking into this. Same with the idea of hanging JDAMs on F-15Cs just to give them something to do, since there's really no air threat out there for them to counter.

[ QUOTE ]
You mean everyone won't be flying the F-35 after all?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still coming to replace the A-10 and most versions of the F-16. In fact, it was lately revealed that the USAF wants to buy a number of the VSTOL versions that the USMC is getting so as to be able to operate form austere strips like the corps will be able to.

Mike's (both) do you think they're making appropriate fleet adjustments or just spreading around the pork to certain constituencies?

I think they need more airlifters.

Whether it be flying peacekeepers, disaster relief, or spare parts to the theater, you are always going to tax your airlift assets. Plus, in the last three wars, we maintained an "air bridge" between CONUS and the theater that majorly tasked those assets and their crews.

The original estimates called for something like 250 B-2s; the Air Force said they could make do with only 21. And we fought and won 3 wars with only those 21 B-2s.

Meanwhile, we fought and won those same 3 wars WITHOUT the F-22...

When I was in the Air Force, though, the one thing I kept hearing over and over again was "We need more C-17s..."

But, it's a fighter pilot's Air Force...

Another question:

Where did all of those weirdoes in SAC go? Did they filter throughout the regular ranks of the AF or is there another command that replaced SAC?

[ QUOTE ]
Another question:

Where did all of those weirdoes in SAC go? Did they filter throughout the regular ranks of the AF or is there another command that replaced SAC?

[/ QUOTE ]

General Ripper would be angry!
smile.gif

Most of former SAC nuke assets come under US Strategic Command, or STRATCOM. Conventional assets shifted to the current ACC. I agree with Copa that airlifters are one of the primary things we need, they are worked to the hilt. But the airlift guys got a good gig, since they come into theatre at least a couple of times a monts, they get tax free every month. Some I know haven't paid taxes in years.

I've never heard a former MAC pilot complain about their assignment. Seems apolitical, lots of nap time and get to fly some great jets.

I've got a pal at work whose every other sentence is "C17".

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another question:

[/ QUOTE ]

General Ripper would be angry!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, watch it Doug!
laugh.gif

MikeD, a great line from that movie was when General Ripper says to Group Captain Mandrake (who is British), "Mandrake get over here, the Redcoats are coming!"

P.S. MikeD, do you have a copy of Dr. Strangelove with you over there?

[ QUOTE ]
Most of former SAC nuke assets come under US Strategic Command, or STRATCOM. Conventional assets shifted to the current ACC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think the missiles are part of Space Command, the tankers went to AMC, bombers to ACC, and the helicopters - well, I don't know where they went... maybe Space Command as well (still need to get people to the silos when the roads are closed...).

SAC became USSTRATCOM, which is a unified command with the Navy. I always thought that it would suck if you were a Navy guy who loves living on the coast, and the next thing you know, you're pulling duty in Nebraska...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of former SAC nuke assets come under US Strategic Command, or STRATCOM. Conventional assets shifted to the current ACC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think the missiles are part of Space Command, the tankers went to AMC, bombers to ACC, and the helicopters - well, I don't know where they went... maybe Space Command as well (still need to get people to the silos when the roads are closed...).

SAC became USSTRATCOM, which is a unified command with the Navy. I always thought that it would suck if you were a Navy guy who loves living on the coast, and the next thing you know, you're pulling duty in Nebraska...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on, Copa. I'd forgotten that the missles went to Space. And you're spot on about the UH-1s going to Space com too.

STRATCOM runs the ICBM subs too, that's why the joint command with the Navy, correct?

Back