Midway Runoff story

b_r

The PM news showed this story like the plane was "feet" away from a busy intersection--like several hundred. I don't know what happened, but all the pax they interviewed said they thought it was the "tower's" fault.

taken from the Tribune online:
------------------------------------------------------------

Plane overshoots runway at Midway

By John McCormick
Tribune staff reporter
Published September 8, 2003, 3:44 PM CDT

An ATA jet with 114 people aboard overshot a runway while landing at Midway Airport this afternoon, but no injuries were reported in the incident, authorities said.

ATA Flight 647, a twin-engine Boeing 757 jetliner inbound to Chicago from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., was landing on Runway 31C at 1:41 p.m. when it ran off the end of the runway, said FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory.
Emergency crews of the Chicago Fire Department responded.

The aircraft sustained minor damage, but no one aboard appeared to have been hurt, Cory said.

The plane had 107 passengers and seven crew members aboard, said Monique Bond, spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

The plane remained at the end of the runway, at the northwest corner of the airport, as a portable staircase was wheeled up to it. Passengers were taken off the aircraft and bused to the terminal.

Runway 31C runs diagonally across the Southwest Side airfield from the southeast to the northwest.

Yeah, I saw the blast pad all banged up last night.

People keep saying it was "tower's fault" because they frequently tell us to keep the speed up to the marker, and land us with tailwinds. That's just how operations are at MDW.

I flew into and out of Midway on Sunday. Landed on 31L and departed 31L VFR in a Cessna 172. We departed at night so I got to log the night PIC X-Country back to Purdue. Also, we had dinner at the Olive Garden down the road from the airport because Hooters had a long wait. The one girl with us was happy for that. Anyway, since Midway came up, I thought I'd share this little experience. Atlantic Aviation is an excellent FBO as well.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know many people who go to Hooters for the food alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wings there are great, though. Okay, I know that people don't usually go there for the wings, but I had a Super Bowl party one year and got the wings for it from Hooters. They do carry out, too, if you can believe that!

I'm not a big Hooters fan, but my wife loves it!

It's actually a semi-friendly place to take your wife and kids, which is weird.

The food at Hooters leaves everything to be desired. There are much better wings restaurants/sports bars than Hooters. I'd say the skimpy orange shorts are the reason most guys go.
smile.gif

Hooters has *decent* wings, but the best I've had so far were from a small sports bar called "Sidelines" in Tampa... which I'm not sure is even still open.

Second to that - I'd say "Beef O'Brady's" (another Tampa chain) has pretty darned good wings.

I haven't been to Hooters since I've been married... funny how that works.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know many people who go to Hooters for the food alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooters has food? I thought it just had beer and T&t's.
blush.gif

Back