Middle East

sschlesinger

Was just curious if middle east nations like Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates have escalating fuel problems (prices) my guess is no they don't.

I was in Kuwait a few weeks ago and fuel is cheaper than water - much cheaper.

At least in Germany the cost of fuel is not the issue. It's the taxes which make up nearly 80% of the price of fuel. Currently in Germany a gal is over 8 bucks.

The US is still one of the cheapest places to get fuel.

I was in Kuwait a few weeks ago and fuel is cheaper than water - much cheaper.

At least in Germany the cost of fuel is not the issue. It's the taxes which make up nearly 80% of the price of fuel. Currently in Germany a gal is over 8 bucks.

The US is still one of the cheapest places to get fuel.
Here's what I found
<LI IeVrI="0" iRxYL="0">Caracas, Venezuela $0.12 <LI IeVrI="0" iRxYL="0">Tehran, Iran $0.41 <LI IeVrI="0" iRxYL="0">Riyadh, Saudi Arabia $0.47

Was just curious if middle east nations like Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates have escalating fuel problems (prices) my guess is no they don't.

Diesel prices in the parts of the UAE have been on the increase, but regular gasoline hasn't changed for about two years. It is currently $1.64/gallon.

The problem they do have is that their currency is pegged to the U.S. Dollar and they are suffering very high inflation as a result. Since most products are imported and the countries they import from have free floating currencies the devaluing dollar has driven prices up at around 10-20%/year. The shippers are also leveying fuel surcharges due to their increased costs for air and sea freight.

So while I may not be directly paying more for gasoline itself I am paying more for everything else as a result of the devaluing dollar and higher oil prices, which tend to go hand in hand.

Typhoonpilot

Iran is cheap but there is rationing with the fuel, and also the average public dont make anywhere the amount they do here...so whatever the price is, it's ridiculously expensive for the average joe!

Yep as of 2005...

<H1>Fact #521: June 2, 2008
The Price of Gasoline in the United States is Inexpensive Compared to Most Other Nations

Aside from OPEC* member countries like Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, the price of gasoline in the United States remains comparably inexpensive among most other nations. U.S. gasoline prices were the 45th cheapest out of the 155 countries surveyed. European nations like Germany, France and the United Kingdom are paying more than double what the U.S. pays for gasoline.
Price of Gasoline for Selected Countries, March 2008
fotw521.jpg
Note: OPEC - Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.
Supporting Information

Price of Gasoline for Selected Countries, March 2008CountryDollars per gallonUnited Kingdom$8.38France$8.07Germany$7.86United States$3.45Kuwait$0.90Saudi Arabia$0.45Iran$0.40Venezuela$0.12Source: CNNMoney.com, "U.S. gas: So cheap it hurts," May 1, 2008.

Return to 2008 Facts of the Week
</H1>

Back