Microsoft Flight Simulator question

Arnie7781

I'm about to start training an instrument student who's flying a glass DA40. I've got about 10 hours in the plane, but I want to get a bit more comfortable with teaching glass instrument procedures. Can anyone familiar with Microsoft tell me if the glass panel they have on X is any good (read: realistic for training purposes).

Also, I came across a website where you can download the G1000 to Microsoft '04 (which I already own). Does anyone have any experience with this particular download? I'm not looking for the cheapest method, rather the method that will benefit me most as an instructor.

Here's that website if anyone is interested...

http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/G1000_Installation.html

Get the manual for the G1000, read it, go to the FBO, find a GPU, plug it into the airplane and play with the real G1000.

Get the manual for the G1000, read it, go to the FBO, find a GPU, plug it into the airplane and play with the real G1000.

Been there, done that. I want to observe the indications you receive enroute to the IAF, I want to hold over a VOR, I want to practice intersection holdings), I want to get a VOR feeder to a LOC approach, etc. I don't think sitting on the ground is going to do any good for what I'm trying to do.

If you're really after seeing what's shown at different stages of flight, you should get the G1000 sim from Garmin, it used to be $5.95 or something like that for shipping. It seems to run the software from the real G1000 in some kind of emulator on your computer, anything in MSFS will be just someone's estimation on what G1000 does. Which is not necessary bad but not entirely useful for what you're trying to achive.

In my experience, GPS stuff in MSFS has always been seriously lacking, particularly in the default aircraft set ups. It wouldn't surprise me if the G1000 on MSFS is missing most of the pages and functions of the real set up.

I always used the Garmin sim when I was training students. The best way to get it done is to fly the airplane and screw around with it, but that's not the most cost effective. If you can program a G430, you can program a G1000, though. The sim from Garmin was pretty effective when I was instructing on it, but that was several years ago.

I'm about to start training an instrument student who's flying a glass DA40. I've got about 10 hours in the plane, but I want to get a bit more comfortable with teaching glass instrument procedures. Can anyone familiar with Microsoft tell me if the glass panel they have on X is any good (read: realistic for training purposes).

Also, I came across a website where you can download the G1000 to Microsoft '04 (which I already own). Does anyone have any experience with this particular download? I'm not looking for the cheapest method, rather the method that will benefit me most as an instructor.

Here's that website if anyone is interested...

http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/G1000_Installation.html

Google "on top ifr proficiency simulator demo" it is software made by ASA for ifr training. I think it is mainly meant for flight schools to use in their simulators setups, but it runs on a home computer too. You can download the demo for free, which is really good it just only offers airspace within 75 miles of helena, mt. I haven't tried the g1000 but some of the planes have the g1000 and the website claims it is 100% realistic.

I've played with it a little bit, and the basic functions seem to work ok. The only bad thing I noticed is that you can't enter a flight plan directly into the gps, you have to enter it in the preflight menu. Then it loads it into the gps. I believe it does not have nearly all the functions that it has in real life. But it definitely wouldn't hurt to learn the basics on msfs.

My two biggest complains about the G1000 in MSFS is no RMIs and can't set it to OBS mode, otherwise if you want to learn the basics it's ok.

Can't store flight plans either like previously stated but it does have almost any approach preloaded just like in the plane.

A propos to nothing, or at least not really a propos to the thread, is there a Garmin 430 download? I recently went stampeeding in to the 21st century when I got sent a plane with a 430, and I'm getting a little tired of trying to hit "direct" and type in some intersection while some approach controller is spitting rapid-fire speed assignments, descents, and clearing me for the approach all in one breath. I imagine these fancy little boxes can be, you know..."programmed".

A propos to nothing, or at least not really a propos to the thread, is there a Garmin 430 download? I recently went stampeeding in to the 21st century when I got sent a plane with a 430, and I'm getting a little tired of trying to hit "direct" and type in some intersection while some approach controller is spitting rapid-fire speed assignments, descents, and clearing me for the approach all in one breath. I imagine these fancy little boxes can be, you know..."programmed".

Tried sending you a PM, box is full. Here you go:
http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

My two biggest complains about the G1000 in MSFS is no RMIs and can't set it to OBS mode, otherwise if you want to learn the basics it's ok.

In addition to being about 1/10th the cost, Garmin's G1000 sim software is fully functional and you can hook up a PC sim yoke or joystick and fly it around using all its features, not just the ones MS chose to emulate. The newest version of the Garmin software will run both PFD and MFD simultaneously, so hook up two monitors (or a very widescreen one) and you can practice on displays at actual size.

Aloft,
I appreciate the help.

For anyone interested, I called Garmin direct and the representative went above and beyond to help me. He ended up sending me the DA40 simulator software (free) and recommending that I download a couple manuals from the Garmin website..."Non Airframe Specific. Guide for DPEs and CFIs" for you CFIs out there. As if I needed ANOTHER reason to profess my love for all things Garmin! Off to the house to make sure I have Windows 2000.

Thanks again for the responses, folks.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=59&product=All

Back