MIA controller killed in Cessna crash 5/14/22

Yeah I don't think you've really thought it through though...

I HAVE thought it through.

I will NOT kill someone else to save my airplane.

I HAVE landed off airport and avoided people placing myself at higher risk.

So grow up.

YOU take the risk flying your airplane. YOU have the responsibility to NOT be a hazard to people and property.

If you kill, injure someone else while trying to save your airplane, you are human garbage.

A water landing is 80% survivable in a fixed gear aircraft.

A guy on my airport ditched a Carbon Cub off Catalina. Heard the most dangerous part of the ditching was all the recreation boaters charging in to rescue him.

I'm not going to second guess the pilot but sitting here in my chair I'd hate to kill someone on the highway trying to save myself.

I HAVE thought it through.

I will NOT kill someone else to save my airplane.

I HAVE landed off airport and avoided people placing myself at higher risk.

So grow up.

YOU take the risk flying your airplane. YOU have the responsibility to NOT be a hazard to people and property.

If you kill, injure someone else while trying to save your airplane, you are human garbage.

Are you suggesting he hit the minivan on purpose?

The South Florida intercoastal and immediate beach area is extremely busy it would have been difficult to put it down in the water while avoiding boats. It's a darn if you do and darn if you don't situation honestly.

I'm suggesting you're an idiot

May I suggest that no one here was present or saw what the pilot saw? Maybe there was cruise ship full of orphans and nuns in the water. Maybe some rascally kids had painted runway markings on the bridge. Maybe the poor guy just screwed up, but Jesus Christ, the moralizing finger-wagging seems uhm "slightly disproportionate". Hell and death, cars get run in to by other drivers falling asleep or having a tire blowout or whatever else every day and people don't refer to the offending drivers as "human garbage".

Our bodies evolved to lope along on the African veldt, not blast around on concrete at 70mph or hurtle through the air at some significant fraction of the speed of sound. As long as we do these things, there are going to be some woopsies and some corresponding loss of life.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't try to learn from accidents, but zero to "human garbage" before the wreckage is cool? My goodness. I'm not inviting you to my next sim session!

Nah, you might flip the airplane and smack your head, but survival is much more likely and you won't take out someone else if you screw it up.
and the airplane will float long enough to get your bearings and swim to shore. Even in an intercoastal, the current will rarely pull you under.

The consistent myth that fixed gear airplanes are guaranteed to flip is a problem here.

May I suggest that no one here was present or saw what the pilot saw? Maybe there was cruise ship full of orphans and nuns in the water. Maybe some rascally kids had painted runway markings on the bridge. Maybe the poor guy just screwed up, but Jesus Christ, the moralizing finger-wagging seems uhm "slightly disproportionate". Hell and death, cars get run in to by other drivers falling asleep or having a tire blowout or whatever else every day and people don't refer to the offending drivers as "human garbage".

Our bodies evolved to lope along on the African veldt, not blast around on concrete at 70mph or hurtle through the air at some significant fraction of the speed of sound. As long as we do these things, there are going to be some woopsies and some corresponding loss of life.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't try to learn from accidents, but zero to "human garbage" before the wreckage is cool? My goodness. I'm not inviting you to my next sim session!

You can concoct any scenario you want, putting others at risk is not ok.

Some guy landed on the beach and took out a guy and his kid.
another lands and kills a jogger, another and kills sunbathers.

You guys seem ok with this.

I need to apologize.

I didn't mean to crap on the pilot in the accident.
He and those who care for him directly and sympathize with the family are not the target of my rather strong opinion.

It's the internet. I also apologize for all of the insensitive and stupid things I've said over the years. Glad that's sorted. Now, back to Thunderdome!

Or maybe they couldn't swim. One person died the others survived. If they ditched and then all drowned, that would be worse.

I'll put it back on us - I'm a CPL holder and I have never once had a CFI or any course discuss the merits/risks of ditching vs. other options. If it's not being taught, how can we expect someone to evaluate this information when * hits the fan?

And as the above poster mentioned, being able to swim is a factor that should be considered. If you absolutely can't swim, that road may be the better option.

I'll put it back on us - I'm a CPL holder and I have never once had a CFI or any course discuss the merits/risks of ditching vs. other options. If it's not being taught, how can we expect someone to evaluate this information when * hits the fan?

And as the above poster mentioned, being able to swim is a factor that should be considered. If you absolutely can't swim, that road may be the better option.

Hmmm... I have my CSEL. And I clearly remember in my training going very indebt related to ditching, related to engine out procedures and other emergencies that would require looking for a safe place to put the plane down safely. In fact, it was part of my CPL checkride.

Hmmm... I have my CSEL. And I clearly remember in my training going very indebt related to ditching, related to engine out procedures and other emergencies that would require looking for a safe place to put the plane down safely. In fact, it was part of my CPL checkride.

I meant a specific discussion pertaining to water ditching. I got my PPL at a coastal airport in Florida and it never came up.

I know nothing about the area, but this was a Saturday afternoon with absolutely gorgeous weather so there was likely beachgoers, boats and swimmers all over the place in the water and on the beach. There's a sandbar directly adjacent to the bridge on the inland side that's apparently very popular with boaters and I'd have to imagine the beach and water on the Atlantic side was packed with people. The bridge may very well have been his best bet.

Back