MHT's runways

TrinidadGT20

Vice President of Awesome
MHT\'s runways

Manchester NH (MHT) is set to open a 9250' runway (17/35) next month and I'm wondering if any of you in the know could settle a dispute I'm having with my friend.

I say the whole point of extending the runway (from 7000' to 9250') is to accomodate a 747 for when MHT decides to become a true international airport (it sort of is already with Air Canada flying in daily). He says there's no way a 747 can use a 9250' runway.

Can 9250' accomodate a 747 or at least a MD11/777 size aircraft?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

Re: MHT\'s runways

I did a quick search on the net and found that the landing distance is 7,185'.

I know SW has been dying to start nonstops to LAS and PHX outta Manchester,but there was some range issues beacause of useable runway length,so that may be one of the reasons for the extended runway

I emailed the fine folks at MHT airport (via an address listed on their website www.flymanchester.com ) and you're correct. They said that there was interest in flying direct to Phoenix or Las Vegas (two places I've had to fly to from MHT this year incidentally) but they didn't say what airline.

I find this odd though. If SW 737's has been flying out of MHT all this time why do they need a longer runway? Is it because SW would need to put a lot more fuel onboard to make it to Phoenix or Las Vegas thus requiring a longer takeoff roll?

Flying direct to Phoenix or Las Vegas from MHT would be sweet except I'd rather see USAir fly direct, not SW. I know it sounds really petty but now I get annoyed when I fly on an airplane that doesn't have in-seat power for my laptop. USAir's Airbus' all have that feature. Does SW's 737-7H4's have in seat power?

[ QUOTE ]
I find this odd though. If SW 737's has been flying out of MHT all this time why do they need a longer runway? Is it because SW would need to put a lot more fuel onboard to make it to Phoenix or Las Vegas thus requiring a longer takeoff roll?

[/ QUOTE ]

The -700 series could do MHT-PHX/LAS with no problem,however given a severe headwind situation then you start running into fuel issues. From what my friends at SW tell me the -300s have started to do some long haul stuff like BWI-PHX/LAX/SJC, and I definatly know the -300s need the longer runway.

[ QUOTE ]
Flying direct to Phoenix or Las Vegas from MHT would be sweet except I'd rather see USAir fly direct, not SW. I know it sounds really petty but now I get annoyed when I fly on an airplane that doesn't have in-seat power for my laptop. USAir's Airbus' all have that feature. Does SW's 737-7H4's have in seat power?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,supporting the hometown airline is nothing to be petty about. I grew up in CT, so even though I worked for SW and now JB,USAir is still one of my favorites. The USAir employees are very good group of folks,some of which are close friends of mine. As for the power ports on SW:Sorry kiddo if you fly SW bring your battery pack.

Back