Mexico....

CFI4life

Ok so I'm new to the corporate world and may be flying to Mexico at some point soon. I have never flown internationally MYself and am looking for any possible info I would need. I have a radiotelephone license and know I would need to clear customs coming back in. But other than that I'm lost.

I have heard you need a "handler" to deal with the costs of entering Mexican airspace, landing fees and what have you....I also have some questions on filing. I have seen that fltplan has some new stuff on filing for international flights but I havent explored it much. Any extra information would be MUCH appreciated!

A lot of international destinations won't let you come in without going through a handler such as Universal, AirRouting, Jeppesen, etc. Not to mention, it's just a whole crapload easier that way. The most popular by far is Universal. Any time someone mentions handling services, that's the name you'll hear. Call them and set up an account. If you're Part 91, you'll be working with the Foxtrot Team

As far as flying to Mexico. First and foremost, you'll need a third party Mexican insurance policy. Even if your insurance policy has worldwide coverage, you still need the separate Mexican policy. Get this document from your insurance agent. It's about $100. You MUST keep an ORIGINAL COLOR COPY in the aircraft along with a copy of your regular insurance policy. You'll also need to fax a copy to Universal so they can forward to the handler at your destination. They'll also need a copy of your airworthiness, registration, pilot and medical certificates.

As far as customs, have Universal coordinate that as well. Tell them you need customs and APIS services. eAPIS is the new system that CBP uses to check passenger information. You used to have to fill out a Form 178 and fax it to them so they could manually check the passengers, but now it is all done electronically. Some CBP offices will still require a 178, but Universal will take care of that. As far as the passengers, you will need to request the following information:

Full legal name
Date of birth
Residence country
Citizenship country
Physical Address
Passport # and expiration

For the crew, you will need:
Full legal name
Date of birth
Residence country
Citizenship country
City and state of birth
Physical Address
Pilot's license number

You'll need to order a CBP decal sticker through DTOPS. This can take a couple of weeks, so get on it now

Universal will take care of flight planning and weather, of course. They can also set up crew and passenger transportation (secure transportation if required), hotels, and just about anything else you could possibly need for a trip like this.

I would highly recommend you request that they send a fuel release to the FBO. This mitigates the need for you to pay for fuel with a credit card; the FBO or fueling service will bill it to Universal and it will be billed in your final invoice.

As always, carry a couple thousand dollars petty cash. If you are flying an aircraft with a steering pin or anything that may render the aircraft immobile if (easily) removed, remove it and lock it inside the aircraft. There is a history of steering pins disappearing from Hawkers in foreign countries, only to find out the handlers conveniently have a stash of them that they'll sell to you for a couple hundred bucks. Also, don't be surprised if you're greeted by a few soldiers holding M-16s. They won't bite.

If you are planning far enough in advance, you can request an border overflight exemption, again with Universal. They'll guide you through the process, and it will allow you to fly straight back home instead of stopping in southern Florida or the Gulf Coast to clear customs. Your boss will love you for this! If you plan on going out of the country more than once a year, look into a term exemption. Talk to Saad in the regulatory services department, and tell him Travis told him to stop slacking off on our renewal.

You don't quite yet need a 406 ELT, but you will on April 1, 2010. Make sure the aircraft has or will be getting one if you plan to go after that date.

Have fun and feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Where are you headed?

A lot of international destinations won't let you come in without going through a handler such as Universal, AirRouting, Jeppesen, etc. Not to mention, it's just a whole crapload easier that way. The most popular by far is Universal. Any time someone mentions handling services, that's the name you'll hear. Call them and set up an account. If you're Part 91, you'll be working with the Foxtrot Team

As far as flying to Mexico. First and foremost, you'll need a third party Mexican insurance policy. Even if your insurance policy has worldwide coverage, you still need the separate Mexican policy. Get this document from your insurance agent. It's about $100. You MUST keep an ORIGINAL COLOR COPY in the aircraft along with a copy of your regular insurance policy. You'll also need to fax a copy to Universal so they can forward to the handler at your destination. They'll also need a copy of your airworthiness, registration, pilot and medical certificates.

As far as customs, have Universal coordinate that as well. Tell them you need customs and APIS services. eAPIS is the new system that CBP uses to check passenger information. You used to have to fill out a Form 178 and fax it to them so they could manually check the passengers, but now it is all done electronically. Some CBP offices will still require a 178, but Universal will take care of that. As far as the passengers, you will need to request the following information:

Full legal name
Date of birth
Residence country
Citizenship country
Physical Address

For the crew, you will need:
Full legal name
Date of birth
Residence country
Citizenship country
City and state of birth
Physical Address
Pilot's license number

You'll need to order a CBP decal sticker through DTOPS. This can take a couple of weeks, so get on it now

Universal will take care of flight planning and weather, of course. They can also set up crew and passenger transportation (secure transportation if required), hotels, and just about anything else you could possibly need for a trip like this.

I would highly recommend you request that they send a fuel release to the FBO. This mitigates the need for you to pay for fuel with a credit card; the FBO or fueling service will bill it to Universal and it will be billed in your final invoice.

As always, carry a couple thousand dollars petty cash. If you are flying an aircraft with a steering pin or anything that may render the aircraft immobile if (easily) removed, remove it and lock it inside the aircraft. There is a history of steering pins disappearing from Hawkers in foreign countries, only to find out the handlers conveniently have a stash of them that they'll sell to you for a couple hundred bucks. Also, don't be surprised if you're greeted by a few soldiers holding M-16s. They won't bite.

If you are planning far enough in advance, you can request an border overflight exemption, again with Universal. They'll guide you through the process, and it will allow you to fly straight back home instead of stopping in southern Florida or the Gulf Coast to clear customs. Your boss will love you for this! If you plan on going out of the country more than once a year, look into a term exemption. Talk to Saad in the regulatory services department, and tell him Travis told him to stop slacking off on our renewal.

You don't quite yet need a 406 ELT, but you will on April 1, 2010. Make sure the aircraft has or will be getting one if you plan to go after that date.

Have fun and feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Where are you headed?

WOW. First off, thank you very much for all the detailed info, and second I didn't realize there was SO MUCH detailed info. As for where we are going I'm not quite sure yet. The company I fly for will most likely be doing some work down there. Mostly northern Mexico from what I understand. Thanks again!

Yes thank you. We use handlers most places, but not Toluca. This is good information even if you've done it before.

I have only been a couple of times, but I literally HATE going to Mexico! Any country you have to bribe your way out of isn't worth going to in my opinion. The M-16's are a lovely touch to make you want to donate more. The petty cash is also useful to help speed up paper work processing with customs. It's amazing how a $20 spot can cut a paper work "hang up" almost immediately. Also, be careful caring multi tools like Leathermans. I used to carry one on my belt, and in a quick turnaround we had to go into the FBO for paper work and back out through security. You would have thought I was packing a missile or something. After much harassment, losing my tool, some bribing and the threat of jail, I was allowed back to my plane with a stern warning. Lovely place!:bandit:

Don't ever go to the Bahamas then. Freeport and Detroit w/ Palm Trees doesn't count.

Once Cuba opens up...bye bye Bahamas.

I really can't wait. It's what, about 100 miles from MIA? We'll be doing those allllllllllllll the time.

-mini

Based on what I've seen flying over a few times, I don't think I'd mind sitting on one of their beaches with a drinky drink in my hand.

Based on what I've seen flying over a few times, I don't think I'd mind sitting on one of their beaches with a drinky drink in my hand.
With us, just as soon as we get comfy in our rooms we get called to reposition......so that does me no good.

But, for normal folks flying for anything better than bottom feeder flight departments, it should be a good time.

-mini

I can never figure out why everyone hates flying to Mexico so much. The border towns (and others) are dumps, but so are a lot of places in the U.S. and elsewhere. I'd rather fly to Mexico than do the hebrew highway crap. Some people need to spend a little more time out of their little comfort zone.

Oh... and where else do you have such a good selection of tequila?? :bandit::bandit:

ERAU is spot on with this information. As you do more international flights [especially as a corporate pilot], you'll soon learn that the best asset you have [outside of adequate planning, a good handler and double-checking] is PATIENCE. Sometimes you just have to relax, smile, be flexible, and go with the flow...

Back