Mesas big announcement

SkyDogSilver

Chicken Kicker

I feel like this is one of those Microsoft Internet Explorer trolling memes - Years late to the pathway program party.

Does time spent flying under the old “make the union blink first” Freedom count too?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - make better QOL improvements, bump the pay, and quit treating employees like disposable livestock would go so much further than this type of window dressing.

I didn't realize that Mesa started operating some 737-400s for DHL this year.
Yeah, wanna guess how they look? Wrong. Worse.

FTJLSSlUsA8wIpQ

I admit I'm kinda dumb about subsidiaries. What is United Aviate and what is a 'service credit'?
It's sort of a flow program to United for regional partners. Previously, only time you spent flying United Express counted towards the hours required to get to UA. So if you worked for Mesa but flew the AA contract stuff (pretty much CRJ900 guys), none of your hours counted to your UA flow mins, while Mesa pilots flying the UA paint job (E175 guys, maybe some CRJ700?) got their hours for UA. Now all the Mesa pilots can count hours towards UA mins.

If I understand this correctly.

Aviate is the annoying flight school aircraft out of GYR that have added to the plethora of training planes already around the PHX area. :)

I heard that they launch like 40 planes at a time. And have more on order. I was told to remain clear of GYR's Class D airspace. They said for an hour or maybe more. Its stupid over there now.

I heard that they launch like 40 planes at a time. And have more on order. I was told to remain clear of GYR's Class D airspace. They said for an hour or maybe more. Its stupid over there now.

Its stupid there, as well as over TFD/CGZ and many airports from PHX to TUS…..RYN, P08, E39, CHD, E63…..they’re everywhere. I guess finally gives GYR tower some actual traffic numbers. :)

Its stupid there, as well as over TFD/CGZ and many airports from PHX to TUS…..RYN, P08, E39, CHD, E63…..they’re everywhere. I guess finally gives GYR tower some actual traffic numbers. :)

I hear rumors about them thinking about putting in a second runway at GYR and possibly an ILS now, as a result of Aviate. I did my multi there in November 2021. Pre Aviate. It was dead. Amazing how quickly things changed there.

A 2018 report predicted a 50% increase in Local GA traffic at GYR 15 years after their prediction for now.

1654918443420.png

The report's prediction for total operations in 2021 was 132,346. Extrapolating from April 2021 data, a full year is 153,036 operations. Extrapolating annual traffic from Q4 2021 data is 84,460 operations. So yeah, there has been an actual 81% increase in traffic at GYR since ATP started in January 2022. Some of the percentage may be attributable to recovery from a COVID depression; actuals were only 64% of the 2018 prediction.

1654920250230.png

A 2018 report predicted a 50% increase in Local GA traffic at GYR 15 years after their prediction for now.

View attachment 65196

The report's prediction for total operations in 2021 was 132,346. Extrapolating from April 2021 data, a full year is 153,036 operations. Extrapolating annual traffic from Q4 2021 data is 84,460 operations. So yeah, there has been an actual 81% increase in traffic at GYR since ATP started in January 2022. Some of the percentage may be attributable to recovery from a COVID depression; actuals were only 64% of the 2018 prediction.

View attachment 65197

ATP's also at GYR? Oh man... I didn't know that. No one's ever getting in/out of that place. My buddy a CFI there says that Aviate flies in banks. Again, with 40-50 planes taxiing and waiting to get on the active. He says that if they haven't started up their banks. You run out to the plane like a wild man with your student do the walk around super quick. Call up ground and high tail it to the runway. Or else you're going to be on the ground waiting for 45 mins to an hour to get airborne. And he said forget about when its pattern day. Since their training is all uniform, they're all doing the same stuff. So its like Top Gun. Negative the pattern is full of 20 planes all doing touch and goes. Lol.

One of the reasons I stopped bringing my plane down to TUS for the winter. I'd scare myself looking at the ADSB-IN screen with all the traffic.

ATP's also at GYR?
Ha-HAH! Who's the Big Brain now?!

It appears ATP = United AV8

I hear rumors about them thinking about putting in a second runway at GYR and possibly an ILS now, as a result of Aviate. I did my multi there in November 2021. Pre Aviate. It was dead. Amazing how quickly things changed there.

GYR had Lufthansa for the longest time as nearly the only operator out there, not sure if they are still operating, and they also had their privately owned Mobile airfield west of Maricopa with its own ILS. An ILS at GYR? Definitely wouldn’t be to RW 21, with its large displaced threshold for noise abatement. Don’t really see one to RW 3 either, just doesn’t seem practical. GYR did do fighter jet drone conversions when Sperry was based there in the early 1980s, then that stopped and moved to MHV. GYR only started reviving in life when the airliner storage thing started again.

You ever go to BXK?

GYR had Lufthansa for the longest time as nearly the only operator out there, not sure if they are still operating, and they also had their privately owned Mobile airfield west of Maricopa with its own ILS. An ILS at GYR? Definitely wouldn’t be to RW 21, with its large displaced threshold for noise abatement. Don’t really see one to RW 3 either, just doesn’t seem practical. GYR did do fighter jet drone conversions when Sperry was based there in the early 1980s, then that stopped and moved to MHV. GYR only started reviving in life when the airliner storage thing started again.

You ever go to BXK?

Aviate is utilizing the old Lufthansa dorms and facilities. Nope, never been to Buckeye. I'll have to fly over and check it out.

ATP's also at GYR? Oh man... I didn't know that. No one's ever getting in/out of that place. My buddy a CFI there says that Aviate flies in banks. Again, with 40-50 planes taxiing and waiting to get on the active. He says that if they haven't started up their banks. You run out to the plane like a wild man with your student do the walk around super quick. Call up ground and high tail it to the runway. Or else you're going to be on the ground waiting for 45 mins to an hour to get airborne. And he said forget about when its pattern day. Since their training is all uniform, they're all doing the same stuff. So its like Top Gun. Negative the pattern is full of 20 planes all doing touch and goes. Lol.

There is a trick, a hack as they say, when flying out of fields with large schools that launch an entire air wing at once, stagger your flights against theirs. If they dispatch for two hour lessons on the even hours (6am, 8am, 10am, etc), commence your flights at the odd hours (7am, 9am, 11am, etc). The pattern will still be busy, but should offset your frustration waiting to taxi out and run up.

Back