Mesa Airlines Dash-8 vs. Power cart

There's some lucky people working on the ramp. You start throwing blades and people can get hurt pretty quick.

that and some speed tape, she'll be good to go....

Just saw that plane a few hours ago, sitting on the northeast ramp at PHX with it's engine and damaged cowl pieces removed. Oddly enough, there appears to have been damage to the left side of the fuselage too, since there was a sheetmetal repair still in primer green on the left fuselage, in line with the prop arc.

kevlar, yes. Not over the entire fuselage though. It's primarily there to absorb ice impacts thrown from the prop. It gets real beat up.

Is there kevlar or anything protecting the pax from a blade going into the fuselage?

I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking about it from the aspect of a blade shattering in flight or something, not at idle on the ground. Scary stuff....

Doug - I thought the same as well, very lucky ground crew...as you can see those blade pieces were going everywhere. What about fuel in the GPU? Lucky there wasn't a Kaboom too.
RD

I've heard tell of a P3 prop coming apart in flight and the crew could look straight through the deck at the sea below! I do not have firsthand knowledge, but have it on good authority.

WOW. Just GREAT product placement, anyone else notice the giant MESA lettering on the cone, right next to the severed prop!

Good thing that prop didn't go through the fuselage...

Sorry to necropost, but a while back I saw the plane and inside. It is only luck that people weren't killed. If anyone was seated in rows 1-2 they would have died. Parts of prop and ball bearings blasted through the hull, through the protective kevlar and out the other side of the plane.

I found out the flight load was light so the captain had everyone seated in the rear section.

On a similar note a 1900C had a nose gear collapse in BGR years back, it threw the metal props clear through the fuselage. Luckily again nobody was siting in the first two rows of the airplane.

edit, I'd be interested to find out how those SAS Q's fared as far as fuselage penetration, and that 1900D that landed gear up in NZ.

Spira: I take it the -100 is carbon props from looking at the pics?

Back