Mental and Social Disorders and Asthma

ktsai91

I want to know what's the quickest and best course of action I should take when getting a medical certificate. I have ADD, OCD, some depression, and PDD (a disorder where I have touble making and interacting with friends). The medications I currently take are disqualifying. I take 3 mg of Risperdone, 40 mg of Prozac, and 10 mg of Adderall. I have been on medications for depression, OCD and ADD for many months now (medication for ADD is for a few years as far as I remember). Anyways, I feel that I'm coming out of my depression, my OCD symptoms has significantly reduced, and I feel much better than I was months or maybe a few years ago. I had asthma for many years, and I only had one asthma attack in my life that was several years ago. I rarely use my inhaler. What's the next step in getting my medical certificate? BTW I don't know how could PDD be a potential threat to safety.

The asthma should not be an issue.

For the other problems, you will nee dto be off all of the medications (at the direction of the treating physician) for at least three months. The FAA will then want to see copies of ALL of the medical records pertaining to ADD, PDD, OCD and depression. If you are not being trated by a psychiatrist, they may ask for an evaluation by a board certified psychiatrist and probably a formal neuropsychological evaluation by a neuropsychologist (they will define the tests they want to see). If they ask for all of these evaluations, you are looking at about $4000 in expense.

I just don't understand how PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) could be a potential threat to safety. It's just a social disorder like autism. Anyone know?

BTW I'm under treatment by a psychiatrist for many months now. She diagnosed me with Depression, OCD, and PDD. Before that I believed that I was probably misdiagnosed with ADHD.
Also, I heard that St. John's Wort can be useful in treating mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Since I'm feeling better, if I switch to St. John's Wort for depression and OCD, will I be able to fly and get a medical certificate. Can I fly if I take St. John's Wort instead? Please help me!

You are going to have to report all of the conditions you talked about and the FAA will review the records. They will also ask for a psychiatric evaluation at a minimum. Depression, OCD that require treatment can be disqualifying. I do not know enough about PDD to sya whether or not it is disqualifying.

You will have to sup[ple copies of ALL of your records. Failure to do so will result in a denial. A word to the wise - do not play games with the feds!!

I heard that St. John's Wort can be useful in treating mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Since I'm feeling better, if I switch to St. John's Wort for depression and OCD, will I be able to fly and get a medical certificate. Can I fly if I take St. John's Wort instead?

I heard that St. John's Wort can be useful in treating mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Since I'm feeling better, if I switch to St. John's Wort for depression and OCD, will I be able to fly and get a medical certificate. Can I fly if I take St. John's Wort instead?

You can fly with St. John's Wort but you still must report the history of treated depression and OCD on your medical.

My doctor wrote a note in my medical file 2 months ago that I don't take meds for ADD and that I was medically stable. He said I showed no symptoms of ADD.

As an aspiring ATC, will this clear me from failing the medical?

The neuropsychologist obtains a history from you about your problem. They then administer a number of tests based on the history provided. In some instances, the FAA also requires specific tests. This process can take 4 to 8 hours and the neuropsychologist then takes another 4-8 hours to interpret the tests and to produce a report.

The FAA then reviews the results and that process may take 8-10 weeks.

Back