Meigs update

flying_ME

Looks like the Meigs fight is just about over... score one (more) for dirty political tricks. But hey, Meigs was destroyed in the name of homeland security so it has to be good, right? (please apply a heavy helping of sarcasm when reading that last sentence).

AOPA article

It's really too bad. I'm probably one of many of this generation of student pilots who grew up with ms flight sim and got our first taste of flying in a 182RG at Meigs. I would have wanted the chance to fly thru the real CGX, but now it seems it's not to be.
frown.gif

It really is a tragedy. I lived most of my life in Chicagoland, and always appreciated and loved the old runway by the lake, butt-kicking crosswinds and all. <grin>

What's even more frightening is, now a precedent has been set. What's to stop any mayor or governor anywhere from arbitrarily shutting down any airport they want to for whatever reason suits them? I am not one to throw sales pitches at anyone, believe me, but if you feel at all like I do, might I suggest throwing $30 a year at an organization like AOPA or EAA to help them support their fight to protect GA and aviation safety in general?

As an aside, I can't help but laugh at Daley. He's really stepped on the third rail this time around. National Security... What a tool.

P.

I'm not a political expert, but in my mind what Daley did was bad politics and I doubt he will serve another term.

[ QUOTE ]
It's really too bad. I'm probably one of many of this generation of student pilots who grew up with ms flight sim and got our first taste of flying in a 182RG at Meigs. I would have wanted the chance to fly thru the real CGX, but now it seems it's not to be.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, Oh yes. I love flying out of there on msfs 98. Probably my favorite flight on there.

The reason Daley closed the airport was because he wants to build a park there. He was just using "homeland security" as a lame excuse to hide his real intentions.

Luckily, not all airports are owned by cities, so I don't think we have to really worry that much about ALL airports facing a similar fate. It could happen elsewhere, but all we can really do is resist it by any means possible when it does, and hope for the best.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a political expert, but in my mind what Daley did was bad politics and I doubt he will serve another term.

[/ QUOTE ]

I emailed him to tell him that I wouldn't be voting for him next time (as well as Gov. Blagojevich), but I'm not so sure that most people will remember or even care... When is the next election anyway?

Dave

Back