Meigs closed?

The government's been throwing around the "Homeland Security" excuse over all sorts of stuff since 9-11.

Take any pork barrel project, throw the "security" suffix onto it and it magically passes.

So I guess Daly (Daley?) finally found that the planets aligned and he was able to wrestle control over a potentially lucrative tract of real estate from a "handful of private pilots and business people".

Is anyone else concerned about e-mailing the mayor of Chicago or gov. of IL? I'm afraid that something I write is going to get looked at as a terrorist threat and the TSA is going to go hunt me down. If I was not sitting on a few certificates I wouldn't worry about it, but since I am I don't want to turn myself into a target to the TSA.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Don't write anything on the internet that you wouldn't want to show up on th six o'clock news or in court and you'll be ok.

I still can't believe they did this in the middle of the night.

What would be really awesome would be to sneak onto Meigs field in the middle of the night and start fixing the runway. Hold a press conference the next day and say you did it at night to spare the people of Chicago a contentious debate.

Or go in and tear down city hall, or the Mayor's house, and start building a R/C airplane field. That would be friggin' hilarious.

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else concerned about e-mailing the mayor of Chicago or gov. of IL? I'm afraid that something I write is going to get looked at as a terrorist threat and the TSA is going to go hunt me down. If I was not sitting on a few certificates I wouldn't worry about it, but since I am I don't want to turn myself into a target to the TSA.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[/ QUOTE ]

It crossed my mind... then I thought it was really sad that I live in America ('free', monitored speech) and I had to think about it. So I said screw it and wrote a big nice strongly worded [non threatening] letter!

This mayor makes no sense. A learjet didnt take down the trade towers, a 767 with a quarter million pounds of jet A did. I could fly a 172 from across the country pretending to go to PWK and still bounce off the sears. It doesnt matter if if your taking off from meigs or miami unless you have f-16's hovering above engaging everything plane in sight "just in case". Its too bad this dick is clueless.

At the end of the day, Mayor Daly got what he wanted all along... to close Meigs. Period.

He is using "Homeland Security" as an excuse. Nobody but him (hell, not even him, really) believes it.

I'd REALLY love to see Karma kick in and SOON on that [expletive deleted].

I've been wanting to fly into Meigs one of these days, I guess I waited too long.

This sounds like something bin laden would do...............

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to turn myself into a target to the TSA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the reasons why I don't want to go to any of the anti-war protests here in DC. I don't want to be branded as a national security risk and then have the TSA ground me without telling me why I'm a national security risk. Plus, it could cost my dad and brother their jobs, too, since they both work for the government.

Tony,

I think that's a little over the top inless you are planning on getting arrested. If you get yourself picked up by the cops then that's one thing, but being identified out of thousands of people is a hard thing to do. If we can get branded for that in this country, then God help us all.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's a little over the top inless you are planning on getting arrested. If you get yourself picked up by the cops then that's one thing, but being identified out of thousands of people is a hard thing to do. If we can get branded for that in this country, then God help us all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go in there planning on getting arrested but what if something happened? Say I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when some people forget the "peacefully" part of the first ammendment and I'm the unlucky SOB that the cops arrest?

Plus, I'm just not a fan of the people who are organizing these anti-war rallies. I share their feeling on this particular issue but I can't stomach the rest of their agenda.

Talking about ANSWER? Yeah, don't agree with them either. Not really for militant socalism.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Daily has wanted this closed forever. I used to like watching him on tv wrestling with the reporters, but now....

Never mind the fact that it's a hundred billion times easier to just rent a U-haul and fill it with fertilizer and diesel. It's too bad, it was a pretty cool thing that Chicago had.

Dave
(going back to my old avatar... the good old days)

Yeah I'd say this has nothing to do with homeland security. Just imagine how much money the city of Chicago can raise by selling that land to property developers, millions at least.

But on the other hand I would agree that the public in general could care less wether the airport was there or not so it looks like this is going to go ahead with little fuss from the public. The majority wins.

Hell, the general public would applaud Daley if he closed Chicago O'Hare, moved it out to Gary, IN and declared that Chi-town will never had to suffer the roar of the "outrageous cacophony" of the A-320 flying over their childrens heads at the soccer field.

[ QUOTE ]
Talking about ANSWER? Yeah, don't agree with them either. Not really for militant socalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it! First of all, this war ain't racist. Saddam Hussein is white.

I am opposed to the war for very different reasons than those guys are. And the rest of their agenda is just ridiculous!

Here's a couple of cartoons from AOPA.
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-2-005x.html

I would agree that Daly has wanted to close Meigs for years and was looking for any excuse. Homeland security is nothing more than a convenient lie.

From Secretapproach's article:

[ QUOTE ]
The more important issue, though, is that the Supreme High Commander, recently re-elected with nearly 80 percent of the vote, may be laboring under the misconception that he no longer needs to conduct the people's business in the light of day.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy is such a dictatorial nut, how did he get 80% of the vote? Flychicaga or anyone care to explain that one?

[ QUOTE ]
Why did we act so quickly? Because the fear exists right now. To do this any other way would have been needlessly contentious and jeopardized public safety--and prolonged anxiety among Chicagoans--for months and maybe even years

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, when the panic subsides, people might realize that this is a stupid idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody can argue with the contention that somebody could use Meigs as cover to fly a small plane into a building, although I would submit again that they could accomplish the same thing from Midway, Palwaukee or Lansing without any possibility of interdiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or an airliner from ORD. What makes Meigs special other than that it would make a nice park?

I'm hoping that the FAA can be dragged in to uphold the agreement that they had with Daly a couple of years ago.

Back