MEI

mikek123

Going up for the MEI checkride in a few days and was wondering if anyone has done one lately what the examiner focused on in flight and on the ground. Thanks

My examiner did almost all of the flying, and even if he hadn't, the flight was cake. On the ground, it was all about Vmc. Specifically, mine wanted me to explain the effects of cg on Vmc. Once I did that to his satisfaction, oral was over. The flight was all the basics: slow flight, stalls, Vmc demo, engine failure, full feather shut down, restart, single engine approach, normal approach.

My MEI ride was essentially the multi-commercial ride from the right seat, except the examiner flew some of the maneuvers. I had to kill an engine, teach him what to do, all the while he is making mistakes and seeing how far I will let him go. He even showed me how "your students are going to try to kill you by doing this..." and demonstrating some bungled maneuvers. I learned a lot on my CFI checkrides due to this.

The oral focused on the effect of CG, altitude & weight on VMC, definition of VMC, conditions under which VMC is determined, at what altitude will it stall before VMC and what can happen, etc. Also a healthy dose of systems questions, but nothing exotic.

Just took the checkride today and passed! It was actually pretty easy. On the oral he only asked what factors are used when the manufacturer calculates VMC and went a little in how they affected it. We talked a little about critical engine but I only had to expain spiraling slipstream. He asked me a few questions about the affects of CG location on general aircraft performance. He flew most of the flight. I took off once, landed once (with both engines), did a VMC demo, steep turn, slow flight and power-off stall. He flew the airplane in cruise with one shut down, did a vmc demo, engine failure after takeoff, and short field takeoff. About 1.4 total for the flight, not too hard at all.

CONGRADULATIONS
Well done and I am sure well deserved! Be careful out there and remember airspeed is life, airspeed is life, airspeed is life.

The 3 most important things in flying fixed wing
airspeed
airspeed
airspeed

Actually energy, energy, energy. Whether its kinetic, potential or mechanical.

Altitude I can see. But what good is fuel going to do you if you don't have airspeed?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

650Capt - you couldn't have said it better! I've found that alot pilots - most of them young(meaning fairly new pilots) - and even some flight instructors don't really understand the energy concept. It becomes more apparent on an everyday basis when we start flying jets but applies to all aircraft. Energy managment is key! Energy of some type is what allows you to gain airspeed and altitude.

Jason

Back