MEI initial question

Radu38J

I am planning on doing all CFI/MEI/CFII, but I was thinking of starting with MEI, as I need to build up my multi hours anyway. So I am curious about the difference between an initial MEI and an initial CFI. For the oral, do I still have to have lesson plans for the single engine commercial maneuvers, as well as all the other lesson plans in the PPL? And for the checkride itself, do I need to demonstrate only the maneuvers from the commercial MEL, or does it include more? Also, do I have to demonstrate the instrument part of the commercial MEL? Thanks for your time.

I am planning on doing all CFI/MEI/CFII, but I was thinking of starting with MEI, as I need to build up my multi hours anyway. So I am curious about the difference between an initial MEI and an initial CFI. For the oral, do I still have to have lesson plans for the single engine commercial maneuvers, as well as all the other lesson plans in the PPL? And for the checkride itself, do I need to demonstrate only the maneuvers from the commercial MEL, or does it include more? Also, do I have to demonstrate the instrument part of the commercial MEL? Thanks for your time.

You have to be able to teach/fly to the COMM. Multi standards for the checkride. Since it is your initial you will have to go through everything like the endorsements, lesson plans, FOI, Multi-Engine aerodynamics, etc.

Thanks Lucas. So it sounds like I have to have all the lesson plans (chandelle, lazy 8s, plus all the private single engine, in addition to the multi engine maneuvers), but only demonstrate the multi engine ones. So, the oral is pretty much as difficult as a CFI initial (with a few added lessons), but the ride is simpler?

Thanks Lucas. So it sounds like I have to have all the lesson plans (chandelle, lazy 8s, plus all the private single engine, in addition to the multi engine maneuvers), but only demonstrate the multi engine ones. So, the oral is pretty much as difficult as a CFI initial (with a few added lessons), but the ride is simpler?

I wouldn't say the ride is any easier, but it's basically the Comm. ME checkride from the right seat with a couple new manuevers. You'll also have the Drag Demo, Accelerated Stalls, etc.As you may know the Exaimer/Instpector can change up the ride however they please. For me, my examiner didn't ask me a word about a lesson plan. He was really focused on FOI. You should be able to teach any lesson plan he wants, but according to the PTS he can ask you to teach him a couple, I can't remember for sure. Some examiners are weird about not letting you be able to look up much information during the oral, so make sure that you know the PTS backwards and front and where to reference information from.

What books would you recommend to start reading to prepare for the initial CFI SEL? I just want to take this time and gain as much knowledge as I can before I even start my training.

Get your CFI ASEL and Comm. ASEL PTS, as well as your CFI Oral Exam Guide. Then when you are reading your PTS, you can see at the top of the page what you can use as references. It list the FAA book ID numbers of the books you should use. Mainly your Aviation Instructors Handbook, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, and a copy of AC 61-65E.

Back