medical

sxauer

I went to two seperate doctors, and both agreed that I need to be on a certain medication. I do not plan to fly while on this medication. Trouble is, the medication is not faa approved. My question is, how will this affect me when I am off of the medication and return to flying? Will I need to go through any special process? Also, I was wondering if it goes on my record anywhere (both doctors are NOT AME's). I dont plan on renewing my medical while i'm taking the medication. I guess what i'm asking is, will anyone be able to find out if i've ever taken this medication if I wait until i'm off of it to renew my medical and start flying again?

-sxauer

[ QUOTE ]
guess what i'm asking is, will anyone be able to find out if i've ever taken this medication if I wait until i'm off of it to renew my medical and start flying again?

[/ QUOTE ]
The technical answer to this question (as I understand HIPPA) is yes they could find out. HIPPA protects your medical records from everyone, except the government (imagine that). The likihood of anyone finding out IMHO is low, and the FAA doesn't care as long as you're been off the medication for 90 days (at least that's what AOPA told me) before you renew.

Of course to stay legal you'd have to ground yourself until you were off it, because you wouldn't be eligible for a medical, although I think you're AME could give you permission...of course that's assuming you want to follow the FAR's to the letter.

Give AOPA a call and see what they have to say.

You also could check AOPA's website. They have a database of approved meds. It might be worth a look.

Later.

Naunga

The best thing to do is to ask your AME. He or she will let you know wether or not to list that medication on your medical form or not. But if you never list it that you are taking the medication, generally no one will find out. But keep in mind that it is YOUR resposibillity to make yourself safe for each flight.

Back