Medical re-evaluation wait time

Zhaj

It looks like I'm going to have to get re-evaluated for depression because I saw a doc for a 30min session to try out some meds 3 years ago. Tried a few kinds, nothing worked, lasted maybe 3 months, we both just figured I was a bit bummed for a short period. Yes I'm thrilled :sarcasm:. This process has been a nightmare for me trying to juggle the rest of life around it and I'm sure many more have it much worse. Bottom line, I heard something like a 3 month additional wait time after I get the documents in order! Can anyone confirm this or reassure me that it won't take them another 3 months to approve me? Rawr... :mad:

That is a real bummer. It seems a lot of people have this issue with depression or anxiety.

That is a real bummer. It seems a lot of people have this issue with depression or anxiety.

One of my students was on some medication for awhile. He said it was for anxiety related issues. Well he went to get a medical after he was off the meds, and, either the student screwed up someplace or the old guy he went to did, or maybe I did.. but long story short... He said that he was told if he takes meds for anxiety that he can not fly. IS that true? MAybe im an idiot for not knowing this already... but.. Anxiety meds is a medical killer??? anyone got thoughts on that?

One of my students was on some medication for awhile. He said it was for anxiety related issues. Well he went to get a medical after he was off the meds, and, either the student screwed up someplace or the old guy he went to did, or maybe I did.. but long story short... He said that he was told if he takes meds for anxiety that he can not fly. IS that true? MAybe im an idiot for not knowing this already... but.. Anxiety meds is a medical killer??? anyone got thoughts on that?

Aerospace Medical Dispositions
Item 47. Psychiatric Conditions - Anxiety Problems

Although they may be rare in occurrence, severe anxiety problems, especially anxiety and phobias associated with some aspect of flying, are considered significant. Organic mental disorders that cause a cognitive defect, even if the applicant is not psychotic, are considered disqualifying whether they are due to trauma, toxic exposure, or arteriosclerotic or other degenerative changes.

I have always been told that the review time can be about 6-8 weeks, depending on what issues there are. In the case of depression or anxiety, you'll probably have to go see a shrink before and have it determined that it was a temporary condition before anyone is going to sign off on the medical.

I had a student who was also taking anxiety meds. They wouldn't let him get a medical because of it. He had to be off the meds for 90 days & then be reevaluated. He dropped the pills & was able to get a medical. Not sure if it's that same for ATC or not but that is what he had to do to satisfy the AME & regional flight doc to get a third class medical to fly.

Back