Medical Issue

Pilotman83

I went in for a first class medial exam yesterday. Everything went well, however my urinalysis results showed high levels of blood. The AME referred me to a urologist for a followup to find the cause. He also said we have 14 days to do this, it else my medical well be denied based on the results. So, i went to the urologist today and he couldn't find the cause. I'm getting a cat scan of my kidneys this afternoon to see if that is the cause.

So, my concern is that whether or not they find anything in the cat scan, if i get denied my medical, would i have difficulty getting it again in the future?

I just got the call, i have multiple kidney stones in both kidneys. It is genetic, as most of my family gets them. Will this prevent me from getting my medical?

An update on the situation. I only had a couple small stones, three in the left and two in the right kidney. All were about 1 mm and one in the left was just shy of 2mm. My medical was deferred and my AME told me I would be getting a letter from the FAA requesting more information. Because I am on track to pursuing a career as a pilot, if I get these stones removed, will I have any problems keeping a first class medical?

I am going to the urologist again to have a 24 hour urine done to make sure its not the result of a bigger problem. The urologist seemed to think that they were just the cause of dehydration combined with a high salt intake. If I controlled this with my diet, and it wasn't a bigger issue, could I get my medical as long as I prove that I am stone free?

Doctor Forred. I once attended a presentation by a doctor who said among other things, don't take Alka Seltzer for a hangover. He said the kidneys were already working overtime trying to detoxify the body and that dumping that extra salt in there could result in kidney stones. Would you agree with that advice? Also, because kidney stones can be such a major issue, especially for pilots, what steps could someone do to reduce their risk of developing them?

I don't think it has anything to do with kideny stones if you take it one time. The best way to avoid kidney stones is to drink plenty of water.

An update on the situation. I only had a couple small stones, three in the left and two in the right kidney. All were about 1 mm and one in the left was just shy of 2mm. My medical was deferred and my AME told me I would be getting a letter from the FAA requesting more information. Because I am on track to pursuing a career as a pilot, if I get these stones removed, will I have any problems keeping a first class medical?

I am going to the urologist again to have a 24 hour urine done to make sure its not the result of a bigger problem. The urologist seemed to think that they were just the cause of dehydration combined with a high salt intake. If I controlled this with my diet, and it wasn't a bigger issue, could I get my medical as long as I prove that I am stone free?

Dr Forred,
Will the stones prevent me from flying professionally?
Thanks so much for the help!

Back